Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I do 3 AS Levels (dropped further maths, knew it wasn't for me and general studies really doesn't count lmao) and so I do English literature, economics and maths. However, after how maths has gone, I am sure I'm not going to get the grade I need or wanted (which was at least a C/B) . I know 'AS maths is so easy blah blah' and the past papers were fine consistent A/B but I feel the exams were curve balls this year 'C1 and S1' but oh well. So I have always wanted to do sociology and I have complained about not doing it throughout the whole year so is it viable to do the new a level in one year? Or is there a better way to go about the whole situation? I'm fine with maths, I'm good but the exams were a bit out of my comfort zone (English and economics went really well) so I just don't want to have to repeat the whole year just for one subject.

Any help or advice would be amazing and yes you can mock me for failing C1 lmao

Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jerome85)
    Hey, so I do 3 AS Levels (dropped further maths, knew it wasn't for me and general studies really doesn't count lmao) and so I do English literature, economics and maths. However, after how maths has gone, I am sure I'm not going to get the grade I need or wanted (which was at least a C/B) . I know 'AS maths is so easy blah blah' and the past papers were fine consistent A/B but I feel the exams were curve balls this year 'C1 and S1' but oh well. So I have always wanted to do sociology and I have complained about not doing it throughout the whole year so is it viable to do the new a level in one year? Or is there a better way to go about the whole situation? I'm fine with maths, I'm good but the exams were a bit out of my comfort zone (English and economics went really well) so I just don't want to have to repeat the whole year just for one subject.

Any help or advice would be amazing and yes you can mock me for failing C1 lmao

Thanks.
    To be honest hon, there's not much you can do without actually waiting for your results. You might end up with a C or a B. Just because you think you didn't perform well, doesn't necessarily mean you'll end up with a bad grade.

I think the best thing you can do atm is speak to whoever is in charge of your college/year/sixth form to say "I'm thinking of dropping maths. Can I pick up AS Sociology?"

Now, my bet is that that teacher will say no simply because you already will be doing 3 A2 levels come September and as many students come into year 13, they only study 3 A2/A-levels because that's the minimum requirement if you wish to go onto higher education.

I think you should drop Further Maths if you get a bad grade and then carry on with maths, English lit and economics. It is better to come out with 3 good grades rather than 4 ok grades.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.