Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I want to pursue a career in adult nursing but, more specifically I want become a CVICU nurse, (cardiovascular intensive care unit nurse) working in that field. But HOW?
    After I get my degree, how exactly do I get into the ICU section?? This is one of the reasons I love nursing, it's because it's so diverse but in the UK, there isn't much people telling you about their nursing experience or what type of adult nurse they are and how they went about it...

Please help, any feedback would be awesome.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TooCold)
    Hi all, I want to pursue a career in adult nursing but, more specifically I want become a CVICU nurse, (cardiovascular intensive care unit nurse) working in that field. But HOW?
    After I get my degree, how exactly do I get into the ICU section?? This is one of the reasons I love nursing, it's because it's so diverse but in the UK, there isn't much people telling you about their nursing experience or what type of adult nurse they are and how they went about it...

It's possible to go straight into ICU nursing after you qualify. If you've had a similar placement then it's easier, however if you have passion and enthusiasm (plus good academic results, extra curriculars etc.) then it is definitely doable.

Different trusts have different recruitment policies and some prefer nurses with experience, so if you wanted to get into this area as soon as possible you might need to be open to relocating to a trust that did accept newly qualified nurses. Even some that do advertise for newly qualified nurses may turn you down if there are too many new nurses or not enough senior nurses to run your preceptorship, so it's very much dependant on the dynamics of the ward at the time and the other applicants.

If you were in a position where you were struggling to get into ICU without experience, you could work in a general cardiovascular ward and then move into ICU nursing. Some hospitals also have mini-ICU areas within the ward, usually just a bay or a small area with higher dependancy patients, which is a good way to get that sort of experience.

ReputationRep:

There are 2 routes you can go down after you qualify as a nurse. If you specifically want to go in CCU then you will mostly likely need to have some cardiology or ICU experience. In my hospital, they only take on newly qualified nurses through their clearing house programme. I know that our cardiology ward takes on newly qualified nurses, but our ICU requires a minimum of 6 months post qualification. However, this depends on the hospital as I had a student go straight into ICU in another hospital so it's not set in stone. I would say that if you work in both areas it will probably set you up to work wherever you want.

ReputationRep:

Search NHS jobs: find critical care nurse jobs: apply: succeed.

Others have said how you can make yourself employable for this role, tbf, my academic results have never been a topic when applying for jobs, even as an ITU nurse. A lot of cardiac ITU jobs are quite competitive and attractive to applicants, you might need to gain either cardiothoracic/cardiac nursing experience on the wards, or gain critical care experience in general critical care to make yourself more employable.

A word of advice, going into critical care, especially as an NQ nurse is not for the faint hearted, you will be well supported educationally, but it's a busy environment that can be terrifying to the uninitiated.

What interests you in cardiac ITU, have you had exposure to this environment already as a student?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much, I've been asking about this topic for sooo long and no one has given me a straight answer like you guys have. So thank you so much. I'll take all of what you say into consideration and see where I can go from here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonkatt)
    Search NHS jobs: find critical care nurse jobs: apply: succeed.

Others have said how you can make yourself employable for this role, tbf, my academic results have never been a topic when applying for jobs, even as an ITU nurse. A lot of cardiac ITU jobs are quite competitive and attractive to applicants, you might need to gain either cardiothoracic/cardiac nursing experience on the wards, or gain critical care experience in general critical care to make yourself more employable.

A word of advice, going into critical care, especially as an NQ nurse is not for the faint hearted, you will be well supported educationally, but it's a busy environment that can be terrifying to the uninitiated.

What interests you in cardiac ITU, have you had exposure to this environment already as a student?
    I got interested in cardiac ICU when my teacher first showed us a heart transplant surgery in year 10. Whilst everyone was basically running out the room holding their guts, a few others including me had our eyes glued to the screen. Although sad that the resort for this patient was heart surgery, it was amazing to witness. Never one to have a faint heart I didn't seem to mind the blood at all.
    Originally, I wanted to become a heart surgeon, but then changed my mind leaning towards nursing because I know I would still be able to go into theatre but also help the patient and family through recovery all the way. That attracted me to the career and motivated me to find out as much as possible before setting off to uni after my gap year. I have had exposure to the Intensive Care Unit and I can definitely say I want to work in that setting. I haven't had exposure to any cardiac procedures however.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.