Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The other day whilst I was cramming for my History exam, I saw something that said Britain was at its healthiest during the war because of the rationing. I've heard that from my father also. I always thought it was interesting. Of course rationing was not the most practical thing, and would certainly be impractical in modern society. I'm certain it wouldn't be taken well by the public, as so many have specific dietary requirements and whatnot. And also why restrict freedom if not necessary. After all there is no war situation that would make rationing an appropriate course of action. But I'm just curious as to whether people think this could work in today's society as a solution for the rising obesity rates, or if the resistance would be too much. And do you think it would be fair to restrict everyone's diets? Or maybe just those who need to lose weight? Or is that just discriminatory?
    It's clearly an impractical idea, but an interesting one too.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    everyone should just go on a rice diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimsett)
    The other day whilst I was cramming for my History exam, I saw something that said Britain was at its healthiest during the war because of the rationing. I've heard that from my father also. I always thought it was interesting. Of course rationing was not the most practical thing, and would certainly be impractical in modern society. I'm certain it wouldn't be taken well by the public, as so many have specific dietary requirements and whatnot. And also why restrict freedom if not necessary. After all there is no war situation that would make rationing an appropriate course of action. But I'm just curious as to whether people think this could work in today's society as a solution for the rising obesity rates, or if the resistance would be too much. And do you think it would be fair to restrict everyone's diets? Or maybe just those who need to lose weight? Or is that just discriminatory?
    Interesting as I must lose some weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    everyone should just go on a Pizza diet
    Fixed that for you mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    everyone should just go on a rice diet
    I basically am on that already :emo:

ReputationRep:
    On principle I totally reject the idea we should restrict personal freedoms for collective health, it's this sort of abhorrent thinking which leads to say, steralising people with low IQ's or genetic disease running in their family.

On a more practical level, I'm a big man and I lift erryday :cool: My dietary requirements are going to be different to someone who is smart and less active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimsett)
    It might help but I think, in our age, the disadvantages are way too high and would lead to resistance so high that riots may occur.

For our society, imo btw, it has a high reliance on marketing. Tons of jobs are reliant on selling food. If rationing was introduced, what do you think would happen to businesses that are more into like crisps and stuff like that? During rationing they mostly distributed high protein, high nutrition food as well so businesses like, I dunno, sweets and stuff like that would be reduced.

I think the black market would also flourish if this happens. When people can't access stuff they used to have, they'll try other ways to access it which may or may not be legal. Maybe something like what happened during the prohibition might occur if that happens.

Since we are not in that conditions, this would be seen more as oppressive and controlling action instead of a pragmatic solution. If that happens, well, y'know...

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.