The Student Room Group

Med student asking for help with stats

Hello, I'm a third year med student (who is hopeless at stats) and I'm currently in a research project. Essentially I am trying to see if there is a relationship between weight losses of varying extents and the prevalence of side effects.

As such my table is something like this: rows of "Weight loss groups" (1-6) against columns of "side effect" or "no side effect". The results are not a normal distribution.
The problem is figuring out what stat test to use. I've thought about Mann-Whitney, ANOVA and others; but I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's late, I'm useless at stats, or that I'm looking at this in a dodgy way.

Anyway, any help would be very useful - I've got SPSS, I just need to figure out what test. Thank you. (Apologies if in wrong area, I haven't been on here in a while)
Original post by Muppet Science
Hello, I'm a third year med student (who is hopeless at stats) and I'm currently in a research project. Essentially I am trying to see if there is a relationship between weight losses of varying extents and the prevalence of side effects.

As such my table is something like this: rows of "Weight loss groups" (1-6) against columns of "side effect" or "no side effect". The results are not a normal distribution.
The problem is figuring out what stat test to use. I've thought about Mann-Whitney, ANOVA and others; but I'm not sure if it's the fact that it's late, I'm useless at stats, or that I'm looking at this in a dodgy way.

Anyway, any help would be very useful - I've got SPSS, I just need to figure out what test. Thank you. (Apologies if in wrong area, I haven't been on here in a while)

So your side/effect/no side effect variable is a binary 0 (there are none) or a 1 (there are side effects)? If so, easiest procedure to use is binary logistic regression, with your weight loss groups as factor variables.

Quick Reply

Latest