Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying to UCL, the league tables make it seem like a great place to go and the course seems interesting.
    I have some questions about it though.
    1)What is student satisfaction like at UCL? Obviously it is ranked quite low in that aspect, but is it as bad is it is made to seem? Will I be missing out on key parts of a student life (eg. nights out) if I go to UCL? Is it easy to bond with people from all backgrounds? Are there areas where students can congregate?
    2)How stressful is the studying there? If someone has perspective from both UCL and another relatively good university that would be great.
    3)What is the teaching like? All the statistics and anecdotes make it seem like the lecturers are awful. Is this the case for psychology specifically? Do the lecturers provide good material to revise with?
    4)What is the application process like? If you got in (I assume you did), is there any insight you can give on how to optimise your application to UCL?
    5)Obviously London is an expensive place to live. Will trying to save money and limiting your budget to quite low make life tough? As in, is cheap accommodation bad? Are all restaurants expensive as hell?
    6)Would you recommend Psychology at UCL to someone who wants to go on to do a Masters and PHD? Is the UCL course tailored towards research?
    Sorry if this was long...
    Thanks though
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    1) Nights out in London are some of the best. Very easy to bond with all backgrounds because there's just so much diversity it's hard to just stick to your ethnicity/culture. Congregate in halls, in local parks, coffee shops etc.
    2) Very stressful. Lots of essays and constant lab reports
    3) Teaching on the most part is world class, you get the odd crap lecturer but most really care and are passionate about their field and want to convey that to you. Not that much material, the emphasis is on you to go to library, check out journal articles etc.
    4) There is a questionnaire instead of an interview. Highly competitive course. As for tips, do the best you can at AS and make a great PS mentioning a lot of (scientific!) wider reading
    5) not sure about this one, but yeah London in general is expensive
    6) YES

ReputationRep:
    Hey! From what I've seen/heard the above is spot on. UCL is brilliant, my brother in a researcher in robitics there. Another really great place similar to that of the Psychology course at UCL is Birmingham! If you want a place as your second choice, I would recommend there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingForIt)
    Hey! From what I've seen/heard the above is spot on. UCL is brilliant, my brother in a researcher in robitics there. Another really great place similar to that of the Psychology course at UCL is Birmingham! If you want a place as your second choice, I would recommend there.
    Yes! I am planning on applying to Birmingham as well as KCL, Exeter and Nottingham. Birmingham seems like a great city with high Graduate Prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    1) Nights out in London are some of the best. Very easy to bond with all backgrounds because there's just so much diversity it's hard to just stick to your ethnicity/culture. Congregate in halls, in local parks, coffee shops etc.
    2) Very stressful. Lots of essays and constant lab reports
    3) Teaching on the most part is world class, you get the odd crap lecturer but most really care and are passionate about their field and want to convey that to you. Not that much material, the emphasis is on you to go to library, check out journal articles etc.
    4) There is a questionnaire instead of an interview. Highly competitive course. As for tips, do the best you can at AS and make a great PS mentioning a lot of (scientific!) wider reading
    5) not sure about this one, but yeah London in general is expensive
    6) YES
    Thanks for all of this!
    Just asking, but did you get an AAA or A*AA offer? Do you happen to know what determines which offer you get?
    Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Dujoned)
    Thanks for all of this!
    Just asking, but did you get an AAA or A*AA offer? Do you happen to know what determines which offer you get?
    Thanks
    A*AA

I think AS, GCSE grades and what subjects you took for A-level (I did only one science)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    A*AA

I think AS, GCSE grades and what subjects you took for A-level (I did only one science)
    I'm doing Bio, Maths(stats), Psychology and Philosophy
    Will this increase my chances for an offer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.