The Student Room Group

Should Britain First become a proscribed organisation?

If it formally transpires that the murderer of Jo Cox was inspired by them/had connections? This and their history of invading mosques, provoking reactions in the street, etc.

I am normally against banning things so I am not 100% on this one, but if we have a "proscribed organisations" list anyway, then it seems inconsistent not adding Britain First to it after this event.
Original post by Grand High Witch
If it formally transpires that the murderer of Jo Cox was inspired by them/had connections? This and their history of invading mosques, provoking reactions in the street, etc.

I am normally against banning things so I am not 100% on this one, but if we have a "proscribed organisations" list anyway, then it seems inconsistent not adding Britain First to it after this event.

Conflicting reports as to whether Britain First is connected. Islamic terrorists shout 'Allahu Ackbar', would you want to ban Islam as well?

Muslims have burnt poppies, enforce Shariah in parts of London, openly call for Muslim law. Pretty similar grounds.
Reply 2
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Conflicting reports as to whether Britain First is connected. Islamic terrorists shout 'Allahu Ackbar', would you want to ban Islam as well?

Muslims have burnt poppies, enforce Shariah in parts of London, openly call for Muslim law. Pretty similar grounds.

Agree
Reply 3
No
Reply 4
No clue, but I'm pretty sure numerous debates will stem from this incident for years to come.

Perhaps we will see more repressive legislation from the government, directed at parties who work on the grounds against democracy - similar to the FRG.
There is a picture in the times of him campaigning for Britain first.
Original post by Bornblue
There is a picture in the times of him campaigning for Britain first.

Are you confident the picture is him?

It seemed a scraggy looking middle-aged man in a baseball cap to me.
Original post by nulli tertius
Are you confident the picture is him?

It seemed a scraggy looking middle-aged man in a baseball cap to me.

Looks incredibly similar and baseball cap is same as the one he wore during tha stack on Jo Cox.
Original post by Bornblue
Looks incredibly similar and baseball cap is same as the one he wore during tha stack on Jo Cox.

Okay
Reply 9
This was not a coordinated Britain First attack lol. You can't ban an organisation because of what a single member of it does

No.

Unless you want to go down the route of blaming all members of an organisation for the crimes of a few of it's members (or in the case a single member (still hasn't been confirmed he is a member or his crime was done to promote the group)

in which case you'd also need to ban the majority of muslim organisations given they are inherently more dangerous than a few thousand sad loners.

just because some nutter may or may not have shouted Britain First does not mean they should be banned.
Britain first have already come out and denounce the attack just because he once went to their rallies doesn't mean he wouldn't have done it anyway
Original post by TheIr0nDuke

BF isn't a religion.

BF is no different to BNP, now look at them, it's non existent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
This was not a coordinated Britain First attack lol. You can't ban an organisation because of what a single member of it does

Yeah, this. I think BF are a load of vile buffoons, I wouldn't even dignify them with the title of 'party'. But you can't ban them because of the actions of one member who may or may not have been a member, you can call into question the influence their ideology had on him for sure, but banning them would be silly, they're idiots and their rhetoric is militant, but I don't think they're so stupid that they'd coordinate a murder ISIS style.

By the same standard Islam should become a proscribed organisation. They regularly wear uniform as well.
Original post by SMEGGGY
BF isn't a religion.

BF is no different to BNP, now look at them, it's non existent.

Religion is even worse than political ideology except Islam often is also a political ideology.
If you ban Britain first then ban Islam too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest