Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why don't we force people to pay for their imprisonment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure how this would work, in terms of rich and poor - probably a percentage of their assets or a debt which they have to pay on their release, but why don't we force those who are sentenced to imprisonment to pay some contribution towards the high costs of keeping them imprisoned?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I'd guess it's probably because... crime doesn't pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    I am not sure how this would work, in terms of rich and poor - probably a percentage of their assets or a debt which they have to pay on their release, but why don't we force those who are sentenced to imprisonment to pay some contribution towards the high costs of keeping them imprisoned?
    You srs? It's called "paying your dues." They could do work in prison to help afford their living

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I'd guess it's probably because... crime doesn't pay.
    :curious: say that to the privatisation of prison and the gun manufacturers

ReputationRep:
    Working in prisons is something I would be in favour of

But paying for your prison time in any other way is dangerous.

Just imagine your a poor criminal (as many are) and you get caught. You serve your time in jail and then are told, by the way: here is the bill! - how are you going to find the money? Almost certainly by doing something illegal again.

Personally I would want to see a system where prisoners are set to work in a way that is good for the country, in some way that benefits charities etc - so that they can have a positive impact on those in need, whilst they are doing their time. Not sure how this could work, but it would be nice in principle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    Working in prisons is something I would be in favour of

But paying for your prison time in any other way is dangerous.

Just imagine your a poor criminal (as many are) and you get caught. You serve your time in jail and then are told, by the way: here is the bill! - how are you going to find the money? Almost certainly by doing something illegal again.

Personally I would want to see a system where prisoners are set to work in a way that is good for the country, in some way that benefits charities etc - so that they can have a positive impact on those in need, whilst they are doing their time. Not sure how this could work, but it would be nice in principle.
    Yes that's called recidivism. Which isn't criminal's faults. It's systematic to make prison a revolving door. And I know ppl who have made bread for schools while banged up...

ReputationRep:
    Loans would cause reoffending rates to go up and with regards to taking assets that is likely to do the same plus what about any family they leave behind?

They are highly likely to have no assets anyway as the biggest causes of imprisonment are drug abuse, alcohol abuse and mental health problems.

If you want the cost of prison to go down then cut the re offending rates by treating those three things in prison properly.

If you don't want them there in the first place..... Treat those three things properly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You are aware most people who go to jail are quite poor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This would make more difficult for criminals to later reintegrate into society. Given that the felon has no real income during imprisonment, it may very well mean that in order to pay for prison, his assets will be sold - most likely his home.

After he's released, he's basically homeless with nobody to turn to. His ability to return to society is very much hindered and thus it is likely that he'll turn back to crime, given he has nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    And what if they don't? They're already in prison.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    And what if they don't? They're already in prison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They kick you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    They kick you out.
    Well, that's completely foolproof :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This would be impossible to enforce in reality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.