Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!!
    I have received an offer a while a go from Plymouth, for the Human Biology Foundation year, so i could progress on to Optometry. I was wondering who else will be doing this course, and whether if any current students of this course know if it's difficult to progress on to optometry, as only 10 candidates are allowed from the foundation year course to progress on to Optometry, according to their website. Therefore, is this just due to the limited places available in Optometry? or if there are more free spaces then more foundation year students will be allowed on the course?

Apologies if my question does not come across very clear.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    At a recent visit to the university, I spoke to the leader of the science foundation course. He informed me that there are 10 or so places for foundation applicants, but 12 have applied for this year. So progression definitely isn't guaranteed. Last year Plymouth only had one person join the Optometry course via this route, but as it worked so well, they wanted to try it with the 10. I believe it's more of an experiment to see how people can progress but I think you need at least 75% in your first year to move to the full course.
    Well, that's what I gathered anyway.

Do you have much Optical experience outside of the course?

Look forward to meeting you in September, course buddy!
    Sarah

ReputationRep:
    Hello Sarah!!
    Looking forward to meeting you too!!
    So you want to do optometry as well, and there are only 12 people who apply for the human biology foundation year that also want to do optometry?

And where there anymore people last year who wanted to do optometry or just the one person who got in optom?

And yeah I have some work experience, how about you?

Your new buddy!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not 100% sure that's what he said, it was only a small Q&A a few months ago. But I believe that was how many. There are probably a few more that will decide to apply once on the course.

I think it was just that one person who applied. Again, not completely sure, but that's what it sounded like. My director at work went to an Optometry managers meeting and met up with a couple of people who are on the optometry course at Plymouth who didn't think this route is the best idea. Although I spoke to Kiki this time last year who mentioned it. This is the first year they actually advertised it as a possible route.

Yeah, I've worked for Specsavers for just over a year. Looking forward to finishing my apprenticeship next month!

Did you get that email the other day saying we'll get more information about the course over the next few weeks. Definitely want/need to know more!

See you soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah_U96)
    I'm not 100% sure that's what he said, it was only a small Q&A a few months ago. But I believe that was how many. There are probably a few more that will decide to apply once on the course.

I think it was just that one person who applied. Again, not completely sure, but that's what it sounded like. My director at work went to an Optometry managers meeting and met up with a couple of people who are on the optometry course at Plymouth who didn't think this route is the best idea. Although I spoke to Kiki this time last year who mentioned it. This is the first year they actually advertised it as a possible route.

Yeah, I've worked for Specsavers for just over a year. Looking forward to finishing my apprenticeship next month!

Did you get that email the other day saying we'll get more information about the course over the next few weeks. Definitely want/need to know more!

See you soon!

Fair enough sounds intresting!!
    Thanks 😊
    And I think the email I got was more about my application and the stuff I can do next summer when I'm in Plymouth, if that's the email you're referring to.

also where are you from and have you applied for accommodation?

😊🙌🏻

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Cornwall, haha. About a 40minute drive away. Plymouth is my nearest city, so I know it really well!

Yeah, I applied for accomodation last month. I have an unconditional so wanted to get it done pretty soon to be guaranteed. I went Mary Newman, Frobisher and Drakes as my choices. What about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow you have an unconditional offer for the course!! Well done!!! What A levels did you take?

And yeah I also went for Mary Newman, Drake, and can't really remember the other ones.

You're so lucky you live so close to it, i like I'm Reading so it's almost 4h away!

😊

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I took Maths, Physics and Chemistry at Alevel. Definitely didn't do very well in them though! What did you take?

Cool, will probably see you round quite a bit then. Hopefully we'll be living somewhere near each other. It'd be good to become friends with someone on the same course!

Oh wow, just a bit further away then, haha! I really like Plymouth. Really handy knowing where everything is already. I pretty much visit once a week now to go shopping. Plus it means I can commute back to my hometown on the bus to carry on working at Specsavers. Should boost the Optom application!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, not entirely relevant to the thread but I'm starting the same course in September. I don't think the course is eligible for online enrolment though and I was wondering if anyone knew how we can access our induction information etc?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RobynA97)
    Hiya, not entirely relevant to the thread but I'm starting the same course in September. I don't think the course is eligible for online enrolment though and I was wondering if anyone knew how we can access our induction information etc?
    Hi RobynA97,

Congratulations on achieving your place to study with us this September

Could I clarify which course it is that you will be studying and I can find out some more information for you - is it the BSc (Hons) Human Biology with Foundation Year course?

Dale

#PlymUni2016
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by RobynA97)
    Hi RobynA97,

The induction information for BSc (Hons) Human Biology with Foundation Year can be found on our website.

Don't hesitate to get back in touch if you have any other queries or questions, I'll do my best to help

Dale

#PlymUni2016

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Plymouth University resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.