Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to ask how much point would one be deducted if he/she didn't round to 3s.f. I am particularly interested in Mechanics marking as I was told something about the g's cancelling but I didn't get that. I sat the M2 exam yesterday and remember leaving one of the answers to 4 s.f. another one to about 6 s.f. and I left one as a fraction. They are right but just not rounded. Would I lose marks for that? (Really same goes for Statistics)

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still in Year 12, so I don't know for M2 but in M1 here is the case:

Any numerical answer which comes from use of g = 9.8 should be given to 2 or 3 SF.

So you may lose 1 mark if you got your answers right

ReputationRep:
    So if g was not used then it's alright? Would finding the speed of a particle from the horizontal and vertical components (x and y lets say) when the vertical involved g at some point in the calculation cause marks to be deducted? (Speed vertical=u-gt Speed horizontal=u
    Therefore speed is overall root (u-gt)^2 + u^2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 130398)
    So if g was not used then it's alright? Would finding the speed of a particle from the horizontal and vertical components (x and y lets say) when the vertical involved g at some point in the calculation cause marks to be deducted? (Speed vertical=u-gt Speed horizontal=u
    Therefore speed is overall root (u-gt)^2 + u^2)
    I don't know M2, but isn't it U + gt? or are you using '-' because it is gravity and you took U as positive in the upwards direction?

But apart from that, it looks good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArafatQ)
    I don't know M2, but isn't it U + gt? or are you using '-' because it is gravity and you took U as positive in the upwards direction?

But apart from that, it looks good
    Yes the particle was moving downward but only the vertical component of the speed involves g.
    Well it's alright, I'm hoping they will be lenient and accept my overly precise answers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.