Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen Maths, Chemistry, Economics and English Literature for A levels so that I have a wider option for what I want to study at University.

I'd either do BSc Economics or maybe even BSc Chemistry instead (In case I change my mind as I enjoy these two subjects the most).

Are my A level choices suitable for Economics at top Universities like LSE/King's and are my A level choices suitable for Chemistry at top Universities like Imperial/UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ter094)
    I've chosen Maths, Chemistry, Economics and English Literature for A levels so that I have a wider option for what I want to study at University.

I'd either do BSc Economics or maybe even BSc Chemistry instead (In case I change my mind as I enjoy these two subjects the most).

Are my A level choices suitable for Economics at top Universities like LSE/King's and are my A level choices suitable for Chemistry at top Universities like Imperial/UCL?
    Your lack of Further Maths will be a big handicap to getting into LSE: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad..._BSc_Econ.aspx

ReputationRep:
    How about BSc Chemistry?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    How about BSc Chemistry?
    Check the entry requirements for each of the universities you are considering. The info is all there...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well Imperial says I need Maths, Chemistry and one from: Biology, Physics or Economics. Will I be at a disadvantage because English Literature is not approved by the department? And what are my chances of competing against someone who does Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Physics?

ReputationRep:
    Its hard to keep your options open for these two subjects - for a chemistry degree at a top university, they you would likely be disadvantaged by not having another science at a level. For economics on the other hand, especially at Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick, further maths would be highly beneficial. Although a level economics isn't essential for an economics degree, if your school offers it as a subject you may leave admissions tutors wondering why you passed up on the opportunity to study it at a level, but then want to read it at university.

So by doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry you would be in a great position to do chemistry at a top university (depending on your grades ofc), and would be in a good but not ideal position for economics.
    Alternatively, maths, further maths, chemistry and economics would certainly be good for economics, but i'm not sure if that would suit chemistry (not qualified to say)
    If you are prepared to do 5 then you could do maths, fm, chem, phys, econ, which would be ideal for both subjects.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Well Imperial says I need Maths, Chemistry and one from: Biology, Physics or Economics. Will I be at a disadvantage because English Literature is not approved by the department? And what are my chances of competing against someone who does Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Physics?
    If you are meeting the requirements you are competitive.

The 4th A-level is not important, and consider carefully if taking it will reduce your chances of getting top grades in the other 3. If so, you may need to think about dropping it.

A*A*A is better than A*AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've read that some Universities prefer candidates with an essay-based subject such as English Literature so would it not be beneficial to have this subject to improve my chances of getting into Economics? Basically what I'm asking is, would it be better to do Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A2 for Economics/Chemistry or would it be better to have English Literature at A2 too? I'm worried that the Chemistry Admissions officer would see me as less suitable to do Chemistry since my subjects are too broad and not focused on the sciences.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I've read that some Universities prefer candidates with an essay-based subject such as English Literature so would it not be beneficial to have this subject to improve my chances of getting into Economics? Basically what I'm asking is, would it be better to do Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A2 for Economics/Chemistry or would it be better to have English Literature at A2 too? I'm worried that the Chemistry Admissions officer would see me as less suitable to do Chemistry since my subjects are too broad and not focused on the sciences.
    For Economics, your Economics A-level is sufficient as an essay subject. Although ageshallnot has also highlighted that you don't have FM which would be useful for Economics particularly at some universities.

For Chemistry, your Maths & Chem A-levels are normally sufficient. And if your preferred university states that Economics is good as a 3rd A-level then you don't have a problem.

There's no tricks with university admissions. They (usually!) don't hide requirements between the lines or round the back of the office. If you meet the stated requirements then you will be competitive.

Your real issue is you don't yet know if you want to do Chemistry OR Economics. You will need to make that decision soon...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.