Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how degree grades work? i.e. if i got 2.1 in a degree what would that mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotboi01)
    anyone know how degree grades work? i.e. if i got 2.1 in a degree what would that mean
    they go in order: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, fail

You need at least a 2:1 to go straight into a masters. At good unis you can go straight into PhD with a first.

MB

ReputationRep:
    isnt there a pass between 3rd and fail?

ReputationRep:
    Edit: There's no need to post the same thing in more than 1 subforum.

ReputationRep:
    This has been said before but a 2:1 is around 60%.

This varies but as a rough rule:

40% - 3rd
    50% - 2:2
    60% - 2:1
    70% - 1st

Don't think its easy to get a 1st though because its not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    they go in order: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, fail

You need at least a 2:1 to go straight into a masters. At good unis you can go straight into PhD with a first.

MB
    You usually need a 2:2 to do a masters, but people do get onto masters courses with a 3rd.

You need a 2i to do a PhD, but again, it is possible with a 2.2

HtH

Fx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    This has been said before but a 2:1 is around 60%.

This varies but as a rough rule:

40% - 3rd
    50% - 2:2
    60% - 2:1
    70% - 1st

Don't think its easy to get a 1st though because its not
    I got 74% and a 2i. :mad:

Grades and grade systems are not uniform across all unis, not even across departments int he same uni!, but the above is a good indicator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You usually need a 2:2 to do a masters, but people do get onto masters courses with a 3rd.

HtH

Fx
    Is it rare for people doing PhDs at Oxbridge to have 2:1s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Is it rare for people doing PhDs at Oxbridge to have 2:1s?
    Nope - most of us had 2i's

ReputationRep:
    Effing eff monkies :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Effing eff monkies :mad:

ReputationRep:

HtH

Fx
    What do you think I would need to do a masters at a well respect top 25 university? Baring in mind my GCSEs are a little iffy, my A levels are good but the majority of it AVCEs.?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think I would need to do a masters at a well respect top 25 university? Baring in mind my GCSEs are a little iffy, my A levels are good but the majority of it AVCEs.?
    Do you need funding?

ReputationRep:
    Nope - most of us had 2i's
    Do A Level grades matter that much to them?

Sorry Fluffy, looks like everyone's plugging you for info today .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Do you need funding?
    Yes, thats the big dilema I have. I can't really afford it without funding, although my masters will only be a year as I won't be doing a conversation course.

ReputationRep:
    I had friends that did masters at Oxford. Most had fairly 'normal' (ie none Oxbridge level) qualifications.

I had two friends doing the same masters - epidemiology. One had crap GCSEs, OK A-levels and a 2i from Leeds. The other was a spod, yielding from St Catz.
    Both got the same result at Masters level - a distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Do A Level grades matter that much to them?

Sorry Fluffy, looks like everyone's plugging you for info today .
    I don't think so.

I have odd A-levle grades - ranging from A grade to D grades. I did have extenuating circumstances though, so I couldn't make comment at a personal level.

What I do think made me a good candidate was that I took a year out of my degree and organised my own industrial year (ie wasn't on a sandwich course). This gave me 13 months of lab work experience, as well as publications and conference presentation experience.

So I guess the old addage of 'work expereince/life expereicne' can make up for non-perfect qualifications is true in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    I had friends that did masters at Oxford. Most had fairly 'normal' (ie none Oxbridge level) qualifications.

I had two friends doing the same masters - epidemiology. One had crap GCSEs, OK A-levels and a 2i from Leeds. The other was a spod, yielding from St Catz.
    Both got the same result at Masters level - a distinction.
    So I should have a chance with
    5 C's (not maths and english:mad:), 4 D's at GCSE
    AVCE ICT Double Award (AB) and AS Business grade B

A good 2:1 in Multimedia and Internet Technology BSC at Salford

?

ReputationRep:
    So I should have a chance with
    5 C's (not maths and english:mad:), 4 D's at GCSE
    AVCE ICT Double Award (AB) and AS Business grade B

A good 2:1 in Multimedia and Internet Technology BSC at Salford

?
    Make yourself the ideal candidate. Get as much experience in the field you want to do a masters in as possible.

Practice your interview technique, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

I have odd A-levle grades - ranging from A grade to D grades. I did have extenuating circumstances though, so I couldn't make comment at a personal level.

What I do think made me a good candidate was that I took a year out of my degree and organised my own industrial year (ie wasn't on a sandwich course). This gave me 13 months of lab work experience, as well as publications and conference presentation experience.

So I guess the old addage of 'work expereince/life expereicne' can make up for non-perfect qualifications is true in this instance.
    Cool, thanks.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.