Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how degree grades work? i.e. if i got 2.1 in a degree what would that mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hotboi01)
    anyone know how degree grades work? i.e. if i got 2.1 in a degree what would that mean
    they go in order: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, fail

You need at least a 2:1 to go straight into a masters. At good unis you can go straight into PhD with a first.

MB

ReputationRep:
    isnt there a pass between 3rd and fail?

ReputationRep:
    Edit: There's no need to post the same thing in more than 1 subforum.

ReputationRep:
    This has been said before but a 2:1 is around 60%.

This varies but as a rough rule:

40% - 3rd
    50% - 2:2
    60% - 2:1
    70% - 1st

Don't think its easy to get a 1st though because its not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    they go in order: 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd, fail

You need at least a 2:1 to go straight into a masters. At good unis you can go straight into PhD with a first.

MB
    You usually need a 2:2 to do a masters, but people do get onto masters courses with a 3rd.

You need a 2i to do a PhD, but again, it is possible with a 2.2

HtH

Fx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    This has been said before but a 2:1 is around 60%.

This varies but as a rough rule:

40% - 3rd
    50% - 2:2
    60% - 2:1
    70% - 1st

Don't think its easy to get a 1st though because its not
    I got 74% and a 2i. :mad:

Grades and grade systems are not uniform across all unis, not even across departments int he same uni!, but the above is a good indicator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    You usually need a 2:2 to do a masters, but people do get onto masters courses with a 3rd.

HtH

Fx
    Is it rare for people doing PhDs at Oxbridge to have 2:1s?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Is it rare for people doing PhDs at Oxbridge to have 2:1s?
    Nope - most of us had 2i's

ReputationRep:
    Effing eff monkies :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Effing eff monkies :mad:

ReputationRep:

HtH

Fx
    What do you think I would need to do a masters at a well respect top 25 university? Baring in mind my GCSEs are a little iffy, my A levels are good but the majority of it AVCEs.?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think I would need to do a masters at a well respect top 25 university? Baring in mind my GCSEs are a little iffy, my A levels are good but the majority of it AVCEs.?
    Do you need funding?

ReputationRep:
    Nope - most of us had 2i's
    Do A Level grades matter that much to them?

Sorry Fluffy, looks like everyone's plugging you for info today .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Do you need funding?
    Yes, thats the big dilema I have. I can't really afford it without funding, although my masters will only be a year as I won't be doing a conversation course.

ReputationRep:
    I had friends that did masters at Oxford. Most had fairly 'normal' (ie none Oxbridge level) qualifications.

I had two friends doing the same masters - epidemiology. One had crap GCSEs, OK A-levels and a 2i from Leeds. The other was a spod, yielding from St Catz.
    Both got the same result at Masters level - a distinction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Do A Level grades matter that much to them?

Sorry Fluffy, looks like everyone's plugging you for info today .
    I don't think so.

I have odd A-levle grades - ranging from A grade to D grades. I did have extenuating circumstances though, so I couldn't make comment at a personal level.

What I do think made me a good candidate was that I took a year out of my degree and organised my own industrial year (ie wasn't on a sandwich course). This gave me 13 months of lab work experience, as well as publications and conference presentation experience.

So I guess the old addage of 'work expereince/life expereicne' can make up for non-perfect qualifications is true in this instance.

ReputationRep:
    I had friends that did masters at Oxford. Most had fairly 'normal' (ie none Oxbridge level) qualifications.

I had two friends doing the same masters - epidemiology. One had crap GCSEs, OK A-levels and a 2i from Leeds. The other was a spod, yielding from St Catz.
    Both got the same result at Masters level - a distinction.
    So I should have a chance with
    5 C's (not maths and english:mad:), 4 D's at GCSE
    AVCE ICT Double Award (AB) and AS Business grade B

A good 2:1 in Multimedia and Internet Technology BSC at Salford

?

ReputationRep:
    So I should have a chance with
    5 C's (not maths and english:mad:), 4 D's at GCSE
    AVCE ICT Double Award (AB) and AS Business grade B

A good 2:1 in Multimedia and Internet Technology BSC at Salford

?
    Make yourself the ideal candidate. Get as much experience in the field you want to do a masters in as possible.

Practice your interview technique, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so.

I have odd A-levle grades - ranging from A grade to D grades. I did have extenuating circumstances though, so I couldn't make comment at a personal level.

What I do think made me a good candidate was that I took a year out of my degree and organised my own industrial year (ie wasn't on a sandwich course). This gave me 13 months of lab work experience, as well as publications and conference presentation experience.

So I guess the old addage of 'work expereince/life expereicne' can make up for non-perfect qualifications is true in this instance.
    Cool, thanks.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.