Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had English yesterday and have been studying really hard for this exam and had a panic attack within the exam that I did not perform well at all, I couldn't write down what I wanted to say, what I was thinking and it really has ruined my chances of getting an a and even a b because I did so bad it has really affected me and I cant seem to focus on my next ones. please can someone advice me on this? Any similar experiences? I got taken outside to calm down and went back in when I was ready but when I saw everyone writing I flipped out because I had wasted so much time. I wasn't thinking right and its a shame because I knew what I wanted to say, I had a structured line of argument and it was epic but I did not write anything of what I was thinking down. really upset and depressed about it.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    SeanFM
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    SeanFM
    What's up? Is it that I went through something similar? :lol:
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    What's up?
    I thought you'd be really good at advising someone about this sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice needed in this moment in time xxx
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by abider09)
    I had English yesterday and have been studying really hard for this exam and had a panic attack within the exam that I did not perform well at all, I couldn't write down what I wanted to say, what I was thinking and it really has ruined my chances of getting an a and even a b because I did so bad it has really affected me and I cant seem to focus on my next ones. please can someone advice me on this? Any similar experiences? I got taken outside to calm down and went back in when I was ready but when I saw everyone writing I flipped out because I had wasted so much time. I wasn't thinking right and its a shame because I knew what I wanted to say, I had a structured line of argument and it was epic but I did not write anything of what I was thinking down. really upset and depressed about it.
    OP, I'm not sure if it's too late but it may be worth speaking to your exam invigilator to see if you can apply for extenuating circumstances. If successful, it'd give you a few extra marks, but anyway best to speak to them and see if there's any chance.

Something similar happened to me in an exam where I kind of lost it. I was sat at the front of the exam, right opposite an exam invigilator who was cutting up pieces of paper, and with the stress and pressure I was feeling, I lost my patience and developed a rather nasty headache in the exam and had to go and get a doctor's note (which I was denied, but anywho) and I sympathise with you - it's the worst feeling in the world to flip out in an exam. In the end though, despite feeling that I missed out a question or two because of what happened, for that particular exam I got an A so I was happy.

Another anecdote - I had a complete meltdown in another exam - it was my first set of back to back exams (where you sit one after the other, I had another pair but that was fine), and the first one was great but I felt knackered and the paper was really difficult, but I got more than I'd expected (a D grade, 52%) but again, it all averages out and I still ended up with an A in that A-level so ya know.. one 'bad' exam doesn't always spell failure.

But that's not the main point of what I'm trying to say - I would say 4 things.

1. Unless your GCSE is entirely dependent on how you do in that exam (i.e no other components) then it all averages out.

2. You never know how well you're going to do in the exam anyway, and if you can somehow get special consideration then that would help.

3. It's not the end of the world if you don't get an A or a B in English. If you get less than a C you'll probably get the chance to resit it, and to be honest you could try asking to resit it anyway next year.

4. Take some time to relax and focus. Take a break for a while, do things that you enjoy. And you may or may not have one bad performance, but do your best not to let it affect your other exams.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.