Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting Yr10 on Monday - What did you wish you'd done earlier/ Yr 10 Advice watch

ReputationRep:
    As in my school we move up early I will be starting Yr10 on Monday. I was wondering if there was anything people wished they had done earlier or just any advice you wish you had when you started year 10?

Thanks and good luck to anyone still finishing exams (not sure if there is anyone still doing exams)

ReputationRep:
    My advice would be to enjoy Year 10 and 11 whilst it lasts.

ReputationRep:
    Taken year 10 much less seriously - after all, life goes downhill from there, so you might as well make the most of perhaps the last year of freedom.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Time to start (but by no means necessary to) think about what you want to do after GCSEs, and what kind of things you can do to get there. And just make the most of your time otherwise by having fun, playing sports, doing whatever you want to do. And look out for opportunities like work experience, insight etc... anything you can do to get ahead of the game that you can do at your age. But again, not necessary.

Work hard/consistently (but anything more than 1-2 hours a day unless it's near exam time is unnecessary) and aim to do the best you can - getting a lot of A's and A*s is a good start to to your education.

ReputationRep:
    Just enjoy it. Year 10 is honestly one of the best years and I really regret spending way too much time worrying over things like mocks that weren't even important.

Not sure if you're doing coursework anymore since they're changing the GCSE system and everything, but if you do try and complete it to the best of your ability. Good coursework really helps take the pressure off for the actual exams.

Although I said that mocks weren't important, if you do have them, revise for them. I don't mean non-stop revision but just little bits. It'll make revision a lot easier when the exams come and it gives you a feel for what they'll be like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hhorse01)
    As in my school we move up early I will be starting Yr10 on Monday. I was wondering if there was anything people wished they had done earlier or just any advice you wish you had when you started year 10?

Thanks and good luck to anyone still finishing exams (not sure if there is anyone still doing exams)
    I have a second round of mocks in a weeks time (not really sure why), but in general the Year 10 exams are not as important as Year 11 exams, so you still have time to relax, that said though, try and make notes for topics you struggle with as you go along, especially if you have a bad teacher for a particular subject, because otherwise it all starts piling up. Also for the new English exams try and practice writing in timed conditions earlier, it will probably make it easier when it comes to the real thing, because time management for the English papers, especially English Language 1 & 2, are key. But anyway, enjoy Year 10, it went by far too quickly for me

ReputationRep:
    Finishing all of my coursework in year 10 because i didn't finish my courseworks and drag them all the way end to the year 11 :afraid:
    Tip top advice is to finish ypur courseworks and start revising for ypur exams as well; start making flashcards or whatever you guys make for revision :cute: just dont procrastinate :slap:
    :goodluck:

ReputationRep:
    the first rule of year ten, 4x8=32

ReputationRep:

I wish I made more consistent notes in Year 10, when I looked through my books while revising for GCSEs a lot of my notes were very confusing and all over the place.. apart from that just relax and enjoy Year 10, it will be your last year of no serious exams

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished year 10 and all I can say is focus! It's the best thing you can do as it's all preparation for your GCSE's. Year 10 is just as crucial as year 11 and don't let anything distract you because if you hit your target grades now it's just an extra boost for year 11. Good luck! Enjoy it too!

ReputationRep:

Good luck with everything and enjoy your time in year 10 Get involved more in things in school maybe and just have fun.

I would say make sure you understand each topic as you are taught them so that when it comes to revision in year 11 you don't end up having to learn lots of new material.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if coursework and controlled assessments are still happening but honestly people underestimate the importance of them. They help so much and if I had really focussed on them then I would have no problems getting the grades I wanted. But because I don't know if coursework is still happening I would say definitely definitely pay attention. And do a bit of productive revision every evening for about an hour. And lastly, enjoy yr 10 and yr 11! People used to tell me it's going to go by so quickly and I never believed them, but now I wish I had more time. It's gone by super quickly! Next friday I'll be done with secondary school life! So make the most out of secondary school!

Good Luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you work really hard on coursework if you have any. You'll thank yourself later when you go into exams with great marks already banked. Apart from that maybe have a look at work experience/voluntary work you could do whilst you've got a lot of free time. But tbh you don't really need to worry, just enjoy yourself.

ReputationRep:
    tbh literally nothing, i wouldn't stress too much about it. if there's any subjects you find really difficult now i'd say to try n go over bits throughout the year though, but nothing really intense. ((like for me i wish i tried more w maths in year 10, instead of trying to get from a c/d to a b in like two nights in year 11. even then though, it's not that vital, just might make you feel more confident)) like just focus on coursework really, esp for the first half of the year

ReputationRep:
    When I was in Year 10, I never took anything seriously and I didn't focus as much in class nor in mocks until in Year 11 when I finally realised how important GCSEs were when it comes to further education (AS+A2), so everything changed from year 11 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    Enjoy it as much as you can, on the first day back i basically broke all the school rules was quite an eventful day 😂😂 also, if you have any coursework DO IT STRAIGHT AWAY i made the descition of to leave it till the last minute and now i have to go in durning study leave and im finishing year 11 in like a weeks time 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    • Listen to the teacher a lot, this is the year that you need to be vigilant and take notes in class.
    • Revise for every test that comes up in the year, never ever slack!
    • If you are struggling with anything bug the teacher to help you
    • Do homework on the day it is set, you get a lot of homework in Year 10, I had a lot at the start of the year, now it's gone down a bit but it's on the rise again due to coursework and controlled assessments.
    • Be resilient! Never give up! Success comes with hard work, don't sit there staring at papers, you have to do something to get the grades you want
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Keep up on making notes - particularly science and history (if you do it)

When I didn't understand something I wish I'd just spoke to th teacher then instead of trying to learn and understand it all a week before the exam

ReputationRep:
    literally just make sure you do your coursework and honestly just relax and enjoy yourself. You dont need to be revising or making notes, youre gonna forget them by year 11 anyway!!! But make sure you still focus, do ur homework and maybe try for tests but dont pressure yourself at all but still focus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.