Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, first of all, I'm new here. Hi! So, I got offer letters from 2 unis (Newcastle University and Bangor University), and am waiting for an offer letter from Cardiff University too, for BSc Psychology (Honors). Which of these 3 unis is better, acc to u guys for Psychology ? I'm an international student (Indian), so which of three places is better for Int students? Like are they receptive to outside culture? Or do they stay within their groups?

I'm confused at the moment, coz I've heard good from all 3 unis. Cardiff has its professional placement course, and good city life, and is a Russel uni. So is Newcastle, and I heard they also have begun professional placement , which you have to apply for. Also, I heard student satisfaction is more for Ncl. Bangor, despite not being a Russel uni, has good ratings, and also a wide range of sub-specialties, like Neuro Psychology, clinical etc (Applied for clinical via UCAS ), which the other 2 unis lack. It would be really great to hear from you guys abt these unis.

Also guys, is there racism and all there? Parents bit tensed here. Or, they all good and friendly if u behave well with them? (Pardon me If I sound stupid :P )

Would be really happy if you guys could clarify my queries

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle all the way!!

I am a little biased because I just love it there. But seriously, for students it's amazing. 1 in 6 people in Newcastle is a student so you'll never be on your own! The university is in the city center and is super easy to get to from the train station. The transport links are excellent. You can be at the seaside in one 40 minute train journey. The city is beautiful! The accommodation is quite affordable and the cost of living is low. It's Russell Group and one of the top universities in the UK and globally!

Hope I helped with the Newcastle aspect of your question!

Edit: Just to add 14.8% of students there are international and you wont find much racism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amingo26)
    Newcastle all the way!!

I am a little biased because I just love it there. But seriously, for students it's amazing. 1 in 6 people in Newcastle is a student so you'll never be on your own! The university is in the city center and is super easy to get to from the train station. The transport links are excellent. You can be at the seaside in one 40 minute train journey. The city is beautiful! The accommodation is quite affordable and the cost of living is low. It's Russell Group and one of the top universities in the UK and globally!

Hope I helped with the Newcastle aspect of your question!

Edit: Just to add 14.8% of students there are international and you wont find much racism.
    @amingo26 Thanks for the speedy reply Yup, you have certainly helped me with the Newcastle aspect! Also, do you have any idea which accommodations that first year students prefer? I'm planning to book one before it runs out. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkx619nerf)
    @amingo26 Thanks for the speedy reply Yup, you have certainly helped me with the Newcastle aspect! Also, do you have any idea which accommodations that first year students prefer? I'm planning to book one before it runs out. Thanks in advance
    I'm a little biased though. Just love Geordies!

If you want your food to be provided at a little extra cost, Castle Leazes is the only choice.

A popular one is Liberty Plaza. It has en-suite and is off the campus but only 20 minutes walk away. This is the one I've heard most people talk about or apply to.

I think that's the one I'd stay in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amingo26)
    I'm a little biased though. Just love Geordies!

If you want your food to be provided at a little extra cost, Castle Leazes is the only choice.

A popular one is Liberty Plaza. It has en-suite and is off the campus but only 20 minutes walk away. This is the one I've heard most people talk about or apply to.

I think that's the one I'd stay in!
    Thx a lot buddy!

ReputationRep:
    Any info regarding Cardiff and Bangor is appreciated! Please help me decide guys
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Any info regarding Cardiff and Bangor is appreciated! Please help me decide guys
    I've moved your thread to the Psychology forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I've moved your thread to the Psychology forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    On a purely practical level, if you're planning to become a qualified Psychologist (at least over here in the UK), then a placement year is like gold dust, get one if you can - and a guaranteed one is better than one you have to apply for and maybe get.

It may depend partly on what type of university experience you want, or at least, how busy you want your city. Bangor on the whole is quieter as it is a much smaller city for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Sinnie_)
    On a purely practical level, if you're planning to become a qualified Psychologist (at least over here in the UK), then a placement year is like gold dust, get one if you can - and a guaranteed one is better than one you have to apply for and maybe get.

It may depend partly on what type of university experience you want, or at least, how busy you want your city. Bangor on the whole is quieter as it is a much smaller city for example.
    Thank you for the reply Yup, Cardiff has a sure shot placement year, so that is a huge advantage.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey guys, first of all, I'm new here. Hi! So, I got offer letters from 2 unis (Newcastle University and Bangor University), and am waiting for an offer letter from Cardiff University too, for BSc Psychology (Honors). Which of these 3 unis is better, acc to u guys for Psychology ? I'm an international student (Indian), so which of three places is better for Int students? Like are they receptive to outside culture? Or do they stay within their groups?

I'm confused at the moment, coz I've heard good from all 3 unis. Cardiff has its professional placement course, and good city life, and is a Russel uni. So is Newcastle, and I heard they also have begun professional placement , which you have to apply for. Also, I heard student satisfaction is more for Ncl. Bangor, despite not being a Russel uni, has good ratings, and also a wide range of sub-specialties, like Neuro Psychology, clinical etc (Applied for clinical via UCAS ), which the other 2 unis lack. It would be really great to hear from you guys abt these unis.

Also guys, is there racism and all there? Parents bit tensed here. Or, they all good and friendly if u behave well with them? (Pardon me If I sound stupid :P )

Would be really happy if you guys could clarify my queries
    Hey,

Congrats on the offer! To add to the answers you've had above...

The Placement Year at Newcastle takes place between your 2nd and 3rd Years. You work full time for 32 weeks in an approved placement, for example within the NHS, research laboratories, or in a school. You have to get an average of 65% in your first year modules to be eligible to apply.

We have a diverse student body with plenty of International Students. Our Students' Union has lots of societies, and they all welcome International Students. It might be work asking members of the South Asian Society, International Society and BAME Network about their own experiences

Hope that helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.