Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    a coil is being rotated at a frequency of 50Hz in a magnetic field of field density B, what is the average emf induced and maximum emf induce? Area = a and number of turns = N.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnypdot)
    a coil is being rotated at a frequency of 50Hz in a magnetic field of field density B, what is the average emf induced and maximum emf induce? Area = a and number of turns = N.
    What issues do you have with this problem?

Are you able to show me an attempt at the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    What issues do you have with this problem?

Are you able to show me an attempt at the question?
    i just thought of it because emf graphs are usually sine or cosine waves so how can i determine average emf.

ReputationRep:
    i just thought of it because emf graphs are usually sine or cosine waves so how can i determine average emf.
    Well, what is the average for a periodic waveform? The positive values cancel out the negative values, giving you an average of zero.

Okay, for some reason latex is really messing up for me.

Maximum emf is w*BA*sinw*t

w = omega

ReputationRep:
    Well, what is the average for a periodic waveform? The positive values cancel out the negative values, giving you an average of zero.

Okay, for some reason latex is really messing up for me.

Maximum emf is w*BA*sinw*t

w = omega
    but i thought the current coming from mains supply is created from alternating pd

ReputationRep:
    but i thought the current coming from mains supply is created from alternating pd
    The problem you're describing sounds very similar to an alternator (used in cars). The emf varies sinusoidally and you get an alternating current that also varies sinusoidally in magnitude and direction.

ReputationRep:
    The problem you're describing sounds very similar to an alternator (used in cars). The emf varies sinusoidally and you get an alternating current that also varies sinusoidally in magnitude and direction.
    so i was describing a different concept? If so lets forget about it. Also can i ask you a question regarding electric fields?

ReputationRep:
    so i was describing a different concept? If so lets forget about it. Also can i ask you a question regarding electric fields?
    It sounds like you were possibly trying to describe a direct-current generator that produces emf of the same sign (e.g. no negative values). The DC generators used commercially have lots of coils and commutator segments which smooth out the bumps in emf so that your terminal voltage is one directional and pretty much constant.

For a problem involving a dc generator, you can calculage average back emf.

Sure, ask away

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you were trying to describe a direct-current generator that produces emf of the same sign (e.g. no negative values). The DC generators used commercially have lots of coils and commutator segments which smooth out the bumps in emf so that your terminal voltage is one directional and pretty much constant.

For a problem involving a dc generator, you can calculage average back emf.

Sure, ask away
    so i have 2 positive charges if they are separated by a distance d what will the electric field strength at the mid point be? Would i just add the electric field strength for each charge at a distance d/2?

If i had unlike charges would i still have to add the electric field strength? a
    if i had 2 negative charges i would have to find the net electric field strength right?

ReputationRep:
    so i have 2 positive charges if they are separated by a distance d what will the electric field strength at the mid point be? Would i just add the electric field strength for each charge at a distance d/2?

Yes. This is known as the superposition of Electric Fields and you use it a lot when dealing with distributions of point charges.

If i had unlike charges would i still have to add the electric field strength? a
    Two unlike charges is also known as an electric dipole.

Total field is denoted as a. So you need to calculate both the field strengths of each test charge, then add them together, yes.

if i had 2 negative charges i would have to find the net electric field strength right?
    Calculate the E of each, taking into account direction, and then add them. Same process.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. This is known as the superposition of Electric Fields and you use it a lot when dealing with distributions of point charges.

Two unlike charges is also known as an electric dipole.

Total field is denoted as a. So you need to calculate both the field strengths of each test charge, then add them together, yes.

Calculate the E of each, taking into account direction, and then add them. Same process.
    thank you so much for your help.

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much for your help.
    No worries.

Need any more help then feel free to message me.

LaTeX is being fixed soon, so I'll be more helpful when that happens

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.