Turn on thread page Beta

Is it fair that IB results come out so far ahead of A Levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean surely, those who have missed their offers will have a better chance of finding a better course now - than when the majority try to do the same in August?

ReputationRep:
    do u ever feel like your repeating youself all the time ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lee86)
    do u ever feel like your repeating youself all the time ?
    Sorry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    I mean surely, those who have missed their offers will have a better chance of finding a better course now - than when the majority try to do the same in August?
    no no, even though we got our results, and that was because we finished our exams in may already, if u miss ure offer u hafta wait till august for the a-level results to come out b4 u know whether u got ure place...so its all fair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mjf)
    Well remember the IB people finish exams earlier, so they have less time to study. Moreover I missed my offer and had to wait until August to find out if I had a place, whereas if I did A-levels I would not have spent a month and a half with the sword of damocles hanging over my head. The only advantage to gettig results early is that that sometimes you can get a remark done before A-levels come out (I - rather bizzarely - got told I had the place anyways, and then one week later my appeal cam through).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Moreover I missed my offer and had to wait until August to find out if I had a place, whereas if I did A-levels I would not have spent a month and a half with the sword of damocles hanging over my head.
    Oh sweet jesus that wouldn't even be funny. I don't think I could cope.

ReputationRep:
    No I don't think it's unfair, the IB exams are taken when they are and the results are released when they are because it makes sense when you have to consider the number of different systems that have to be taken into account and even more importanly to allow a gap between the two different exam sessions (the second one being in Novemeber). The IB cannot really be expected to just fit everything around A-Levels, it`s an independant organisaion in its own right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Oh sweet jesus that wouldn't even be funny. I don't think I could cope.
    Yeah, thankfully I can laugh about it now. Basically for that entire period I never talked about Cambridge.

But I think Kildare's point is the most relevant. The IB has to take a lot of different international systems into account and does a damn good job of doing. Besides if IB manages to mark scripts faster than A-levels (as they do), despite the logistical difficulties, than I think it is A-levels which should speed up and try to be equally efficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ASNaC)
    Well remember the IB people finish exams earlier, so they have less time to study. Moreover I missed my offer and had to wait until August to find out if I had a place, whereas if I did A-levels I would not have spent a month and a half with the sword of damocles hanging over my head. The only advantage to gettig results early is that that sometimes you can get a remark done before A-levels come out (I - rather bizzarely - got told I had the place anyways, and then one week later my appeal cam through).
    Wait... so from my understanding, if I missed my offer, I will have to wait until A-Level results come out before the uni will give me a definate yes or no? So all-in-all, I should not expect a reply from my uni until end of August or early September?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boonkoh)
    Wait... so from my understanding, if I missed my offer, I will have to wait until A-Level results come out before the uni will give me a definate yes or no? So all-in-all, I should not expect a reply from my uni until end of August or early September?
    It depends on the university, but the vast majority will wait until A-levels come out to let you know about your place, as then they will know how many people missed their A-level offers. So yes, I and a number of friends of mine had to wait until late August to know where we were going to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boonkoh)
    Yes, unless you missed it with a mile and the uni decides to decline you right away. Regardless they woant accept anyone who have missed the offer until they know exactly how many have missed it and how closely other people missed it, meaning you have to wait til A level results are out...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.