Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (NOTE: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to put it)

A few days ago, I contacted CERN (a physics research organisation) regarding a work experience placement. I was told that I need to find a specific contact to ask about job shadowing.

So I've done some research and used their website to get a shortlist of 8 potential staff I could shadow, and I'd like to send off an email to all of them. This is because I want to find a person who is both open to job shadowing and is also suitable for what I want to learn and experience.

The problem is, I'm worried a group email could come off as rude, but sending an email to just one person could mean I'm rejected, or could mean I miss out on a more valuable opportunity from someone else.

Any ideas? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    BCC, and address them as Sir/Madam?

ReputationRep:
    I read that CC/BCC are intended for more informational emails, rather than when you want a reply, and that these are more impersonal. Is that suitable for a work experience email?

(Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    BCC, and address them as Sir/Madam?
    I think the problem there is that it comes across as too impersonal/blanket. If you want to shadow someone, you need to come across as being personally interested in their job.

OP, do you have one you're most interested in/who's most likely to be receptive? Maybe just go for one first. Or alternatively, send a couple separate emails proposing separate dates so you don't have to refuse one if they magically both accept. I think anyone at my workplace would be a bit put-off by a generic group email.

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming they all have slightly different jobs? You should write them all individual emails and change certain parts, but for time saving you may keep the main body the same.

ReputationRep:
    I would use individual tailored emails and demonstrate you've got genuine interest in what they do ("I've read your paper on..." Etc.).

ReputationRep:
    Aye they all have slightly different roles, and there isn't too much information on them available. I think I'll go with sending individual emails, since this seems to keep it personal and still keeps my options open. Thank you for the advice!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I recommend sending emails individually but it's fine to re-use a bulk text whilst changing details for the people individually.

(Original post by Quantex)
    I would use individual tailored emails and demonstrate you've got genuine interest in what they do ("I've read your paper on..." Etc.).
    That last bit imo is really good advice. I think if you write to them by name rather than Sir/Madam and show your interest specifically in their work, you'll be much more likely to get a reply. Try and show (if poss) what you're hoping to get out of it – not in a 'it'll help me with uni applications' but in a 'field of study' way (somehow less mercantile?)

ReputationRep:
    That is excellent advice, cheers.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I recommend sending emails individually but it's fine to re-use a bulk text whilst changing details for the people individually.
    ^this.

OP it's not difficult to use copy/paste/edit to personalise 8 individual emails.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.