Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which of the following reagents could be used to detect the presence of ethanol in gasohol - a mixture of alkanes, alkenes and ethanol.
    A) bromine
    B) hydrogen chloride
    C) sodium
    D) universal indicator

The answer is C) sodium but I'm not really sure why the answer is sodium. I know the answer is between B and C but I'm sure sure why its specifically C. Can someone explain this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idontlikeict)
    Which of the following reagents could be used to detect the presence of ethanol in gasohol - a mixture of alkanes, alkenes and ethanol.
    A) bromine
    B) hydrogen chloride
    C) sodium
    D) universal indicator

The answer is C) sodium but I'm not really sure why the answer is sodium. I know the answer is between B and C but I'm sure sure why its specifically C. Can someone explain this.
    My chem's a bit worn out but from how I see it:

B) From the list, this will react with alkenes, so you're still left with having to differentiate between the other two substances so incorrect. (Fyi alkenes + HCl gives u a chloroalkane)

C) Sodium reacts with alcohol, and not with alkenes and alkanes, to form alkoxides and hydrogen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.