Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

I'm a Spanish girl who just finished her Bachelor Degree in Biochemistry here in Spain. I was thinkig about takin a gap year to get my C1 english diploma and then truly consider what I want to do with my life, masters avaliable...etc. I'm interested in Developmental biology, for example. So here's my question.

Here in Spain you enroll in a master, then apply for a PhD and they pay you for 4 years approx to get your thesis done. Does that happen in the UK that way too? Because when I check some PhD programs such as this one:

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/po...l-biology-phd/

It doesn't mention you're going to get pait but in fact it says you have to pay tuition fees? That are, again, pretty high, it's the price of a second master basically.

So, can anyone PLEASE PLEASE help me out, how could I get a paid PhD in the UK for 3-4 years and how does it work...

Thank you very very much
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    There is a lot more information in the Postgraduate Applications forum, but generally, you need to apply to a research council for funding if you want to someone to pay your fees and living expenses for you. Some universities might have their own scholarships but these are unusual.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.