The Student Room Group

Getting postgraduate loan after completing MEng?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if I will be eligible for a postgraduate loan having completed my MEng. I'm kind of confused because my MEng is a masters but its an undergraduate masters. I want to study an MSc and wanted to know if I will be eligible for the funding having studied an MEng. I appreciate the help everyone.
Original post by miraj42
Hi guys,

I was wondering if I will be eligible for a postgraduate loan having completed my MEng. I'm kind of confused because my MEng is a masters but its an undergraduate masters. I want to study an MSc and wanted to know if I will be eligible for the funding having studied an MEng. I appreciate the help everyone.

Unfortunately, no.

Will an integrated Master’s student be eligible to undertake a stand alone Master's?

Those who hold an Integrated Master's degree eg, MEng, will not be eligible to receive a Postgraduate Loan, as they already hold an Equivalent Level Qualification (ELQ). BIS outlined their reasoning in the Postgraduate Loan consultation response (page15, paragraph 27):

"Individuals who already have a postgraduate Master's qualification including an Integrated Master's qualification will not be eligible for the new Master’s loan. The rationale for this is to avoid duplication of funding and to focus limited resources on those who have not, as yet, acquired a postgraduate Master’s qualification."

http://www.heinfo.slc.co.uk/media/7490/pgl_courses_qa_ed4_250516.pdf
Hi miraj42,I am in the same situation as you were. I was wondering if you got this issue resolved?Best,Harry
Original post by HarryCoppock
Hi miraj42,I am in the same situation as you were. I was wondering if you got this issue resolved?Best,Harry

Hi,

As Snufkin mentioned, students who hold an Integrated Master's degree will not be eligible to receive a Postgraduate Loan, as they already hold an Equivalent Level Qualification. Check with prospective universities about other funding that may be available.

Regards,
Stuart

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending