Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should BTECs be scrapped? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should BTECs be scrapped?
    Yes
    40.00%
    No
    60.00%

ReputationRep:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    No.
    In fact 2016 BTECs have been tightened up in regulations and even have added exams in to the course. Since many further education establishments accept them, then what's the issue?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why on earth would you scapr them? Not everyone wants to do A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain the difference between a levels and btec? (impartially)
    I do A levels and people usually give btec **** but i dont actually get what they are. Are they really just easier a levels?

They are going to be exam based anyway from september 2016.

BTEC'S are for hands on people and those who want to go into employment however, you can still go uni with them, in some cases.

ReputationRep:
    No I dont do any btec's but i think it gives everyone a chance of getting reasonable grade especially some people who are not good at exams, have anxiety issues that can be triggered with exams etc.

ReputationRep:
    no
    i think it gives students a wide range of what career path they want to take

ReputationRep:
    No - some people just aren't very academic but deserve to get decent qualifications so they can go to uni/ have better employment prospects blah blah bkah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Btecs are valued by employers and accepted by 95%+ of UK universities and are statistically more employable than A levels, why on earth would anyone want to scrap them?

I did a Computing Btec and am now going into my third year of Computer Science at a top 20 uni and have a good software engineering placement, who at my interview said that the content covered on my Btec was so much more relevant than what other applicants had done in A levels, i had the same experience in another placement that I did

Would be crazy to scrap them

ReputationRep:
    How else are the lads going to impress with their Sports Level 2 BTEC when they're down the gym burning off calories from last nights cheeky nandos?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.