Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm starting an Access to Science and Nursing course at my local college in September as the grades I got at A-level were not sufficient for Children's nursing. I know that we have units in Human Biology, Chemistry, Health and Community Studies and then we have to do Level 2 Maths, a study skills type unit and a research project.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare myself for the course? Any reading or such that I could do.

Thanks in advance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by beckyusher)
    Hi,

I'm starting an Access to Science and Nursing course at my local college in September as the grades I got at A-level were not sufficient for Children's nursing. I know that we have units in Human Biology, Chemistry, Health and Community Studies and then we have to do Level 2 Maths, a study skills type unit and a research project.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best prepare myself for the course? Any reading or such that I could do.

Thanks in advance.
    Your time before starting would probably be best spent doing things for your nursing application (work experience, volunteering, attending workshops/conferences) as access courses don't really require a lot of preparation, especially when you're straight from sixth form. As access courses cover such a broad range of topics it is impossible to say how in-depth these will go and whether any revision will be necessary. If you really wanted to, you could contact the college to see if they have a reading list they could recommend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte49)
    Your time before starting would probably be best spent doing things for your nursing application (work experience, volunteering, attending workshops/conferences) as access courses don't really require a lot of preparation, especially when you're straight from sixth form. As access courses cover such a broad range of topics it is impossible to say how in-depth these will go and whether any revision will be necessary. If you really wanted to, you could contact the college to see if they have a reading list they could recommend.
    Thank you! I am trying to get volunteer work/work experience at the local hospital but they are so hard to get things sorted with!! Where would I find some good workshops or conferences that would look good on my application?
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thank you! I am trying to get volunteer work/work experience at the local hospital but they are so hard to get things sorted with!! Where would I find some good workshops or conferences that would look good on my application?
    Usually Google will show up some things, local universities might also hold open lectures you can attend. Don't worry about getting it in the hospital if you're struggling, any sort of caring role is good and it is important that you have something for your UCAS application. Lots of charities will allow you to sit in on a session and find out what they do (again, don't worry if it's adults rather than children as there are a lot of data protection and safeguarding issues).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I start my access course in September too, studying Human Physiology, Psychology, Sociology & Chemistry, I didn't do A-levels when I left school, I have started my personal statement, revising my GCSE Maths, as the universities I'm applying to do maths tests in their selection process and researching the subjects, mainly psychology & sociology, just to get a feel for them really. I work as a Care Assistant in a Care Home & volunteer at my local hospital, so I have that experience to mention in my personal statement.
    It's worth seeing if a Care Home near by accept volunteers, you may just be talking with residents or maybe help in activities, some places may be happy for you to assist residents to eat at meal times. Even if it's not with children, the experience is transferable, I have heard of midwifery applicants working in childcare or elderly care and used that experience when applying to university, so any experience is good.

I hope this helps a bit and Good Luck!

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.