Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I would be greatful if anyone could advise me on the minimum grade I will need to get from this one assignment in order to pass the unit. I am in my first year and we must achieve 40% in total in order to pass a unit.

    Due to unforeseen and genuine circumstances (I had a complicated pregnancy which subsequently meant I had an early and sick baby) I did not submit some assignments. I can only claim EC on a few of these due to the timeframe.

    I have three failed units to retake. My grades for each assignment will be capped at 40%. In two of the units each assignment will be worth 50% of the final grade meaning I just need to get a pass in each and I've passed the unit.

    However one unit is 30% in one assignment and 70% in the other. I have submitted the 30% assignment and was capped at 40 so my grade in that one was 12% overall (30% of 40) but 70% of 40 is 28, meaning when I add the results, it does not make the minimum 40%, therefore there is no way I can pass this unit considering my grades are capped at the 40?

    Is this correct or do they allow for a higher cap because of the 70%? Please could someone advise as I am just so confused and concerned that this means it's came over and I shouldn't even attempt to resit any of them.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sianxwoodland)
    Hi
    I would be greatful if anyone could advise me on the minimum grade I will need to get from this one assignment in order to pass the unit. I am in my first year and we must achieve 40% in total in order to pass a unit.

    Due to unforeseen and genuine circumstances (I had a complicated pregnancy which subsequently meant I had an early and sick baby) I did not submit some assignments. I can only claim EC on a few of these due to the timeframe.

    I have three failed units to retake. My grades for each assignment will be capped at 40%. In two of the units each assignment will be worth 50% of the final grade meaning I just need to get a pass in each and I've passed the unit.

    However one unit is 30% in one assignment and 70% in the other. I have submitted the 30% assignment and was capped at 40 so my grade in that one was 12% overall (30% of 40) but 70% of 40 is 28, meaning when I add the results, it does not make the minimum 40%, therefore there is no way I can pass this unit considering my grades are capped at the 40?

    Is this correct or do they allow for a higher cap because of the 70%? Please could someone advise as I am just so confused and concerned that this means it's came over and I shouldn't even attempt to resit any of them.
    If you get 40% in both assessments then yes you will pass, i believe you've gotten your maths slightly wrong there.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If you get 40% in both assessments then yes you will pass, i believe you've gotten your maths slightly wrong there.
    I am rubbish at maths so it is possible, but still I don't think I am. One assignment is worth 30% of the grade and the other 70% of the grade (I'm used to it being 50/50) I have my result through for my first assignment (which was graded at 40% but my unit total says 12) I emailed the uni and said I thought this was wrong and it should be 20 but they said no it's 12 due to the assignment only being worth 30%.

    So surely if I get 40% in this assignment, combined with the 12 from the other assignment, it won't make an overall or 40%
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Offline

    21
    ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sianxwoodland)
    I am rubbish at maths so it is possible, but still I don't think I am. One assignment is worth 30% of the grade and the other 70% of the grade (I'm used to it being 50/50) I have my result through for my first assignment (which was graded at 40% but my unit total says 12) I emailed the uni and said I thought this was wrong and it should be 20 but they said no it's 12 due to the assignment only being worth 30%.

    So surely if I get 40% in this assignment, combined with the 12 from the other assignment, it won't make an overall or 40%
    Ah i see what you mean, i would contact them again to get them to say for sure in writing what they mean, as if it was a 50/50 module you would pass but with the different weightings that doesn't seem fair that you dont pass with 40% in both.
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sianxwoodland)
    I am rubbish at maths so it is possible, but still I don't think I am. One assignment is worth 30% of the grade and the other 70% of the grade (I'm used to it being 50/50) I have my result through for my first assignment (which was graded at 40% but my unit total says 12) I emailed the uni and said I thought this was wrong and it should be 20 but they said no it's 12 due to the assignment only being worth 30%.

    So surely if I get 40% in this assignment, combined with the 12 from the other assignment, it won't make an overall or 40%
    Isn't it 40% then 70% of 40 gives 28; 28 + 12 [already given] gives a modue pass.
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    Isn't it 40% then 70% of 40 gives 28; 28 + 12 [already given] gives a modue pass.
    Yes I think you're right!! Thankyou. I was just getting confused as I'm so familiar with the whole formula of the add the grades and then divide by two that I was thinking we had to divide the 28 by two. Thank you for clarifying something that turned out to be so simple!!
    Offline

    11
    ReputationRep:
    I think you should still do the best you can to ensure you pass. What'll happen is it'll be marked by the tutor as normal then the 40% cap applied to each component. Assuming marks for each are out of 100, pass mark for the 30% component is 12 and for the 70% component is 28. I think that's right.


    Posted from TSR Mobile
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.