Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Problems with ID watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On my 18th birthday yesterday I tried buying some alcohol (just a couple of beers, nothing over the top) and used a photocopy of my passport at the checkout as ID. For some reason, they wouldn't accept this and wouldn't let my buy it; I asked why and they just said they wouldn't accept it as ID. Nor would they accept a picture of it on my phone. I've used that same photocopy to get 15-rated DVDs in the shops and in cinemas with no problems whatsoever for the last 3 years. My actual passport is locked in a safe in the attic that only my dad has access to, and he's away on a work trip, so I can't get to it. Even if I did have it, they don't surely expect me to carry around my passport everywhere do they- what if it gets lost or stolen? . I don't have a driving licence as, i use the bus for university so i never saw the point, and i dont intend on learning to drive for many years. i'm autistic so i don't really understand things like this as no one has ever explained it to me- my dad says the photocopy should be fine and doesnt understand what the shop's problem was. does that mean i cant use the photocopy at the cinema or in the shop anymore, as thats what i've always done before. sorry if i sound stupid, i just really dont understand any of this.

ReputationRep:
    I think that it depends from place to place. For example, a store may face little in terms of legal consequences in selling you a movie, but at the same time, if caught selling alcohol to an u nderage person, a business can be required to close down. Therefore, they're quite strict on ID. They might have doubted that the passport really belonged to you, and therefore, they would be required to refuse you.

ReputationRep:
    A photocopy can be changed fairly easily. People tend to be a lot stricter about alcohol than films at the cinema and even films at a shop, so it doesn't surprise me that you have run into trouble. Unfortunately, you are expected to carry original proof of id on you, however if you don't want to carry your passport, and you don't have a driving licence, you can apply for a 'PASS' logo ID like a citizen card for quite a bit less money, however there are some places that only accept a driving licence or passport.

ReputationRep:
    Just go to a different shop. That shop just wasn't having it I guess.

ReputationRep:
    A photocopy can be so easily faked, all you need is some basic photoshop. An ID/passport is much harder.
    I wouldn't accept it either. As above, consequences for DVDs non-existent compared to selling alcohol.

Just get a driver's licence if you don't want to carry around passport. Wouldn't bother with PASS card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    On my 18th birthday yesterday I tried buying some alcohol (just a couple of beers, nothing over the top) and used a photocopy of my passport at the checkout as ID. For some reason, they wouldn't accept this and wouldn't let my buy it; I asked why and they just said they wouldn't accept it as ID. Nor would they accept a picture of it on my phone. I've used that same photocopy to get 15-rated DVDs in the shops and in cinemas with no problems whatsoever for the last 3 years. My actual passport is locked in a safe in the attic that only my dad has access to, and he's away on a work trip, so I can't get to it. Even if I did have it, they don't surely expect me to carry around my passport everywhere do they- what if it gets lost or stolen? . I don't have a driving licence as, i use the bus for university so i never saw the point, and i dont intend on learning to drive for many years. i'm autistic so i don't really understand things like this as no one has ever explained it to me- my dad says the photocopy should be fine and doesnt understand what the shop's problem was. does that mean i cant use the photocopy at the cinema or in the shop anymore, as thats what i've always done before. sorry if i sound stupid, i just really dont understand any of this.
    As others have said a photocopy can be easily changed so most places will expect you to carry your real passport on you if you don't have a driving licence. Staff can loose their jobs for serving someone underage alcohol if found out so they want to be extra sure. At the end of the day you carry other valuable items with you dont like you a phone and your purse or wallet- they too could get lost or stolen but you still carry them with you. Having said that, even if you don't intend to drive its worth getting a provisional licence, its less than a passport and can fit into a purse or wallet so its a great investment as it ensures you get served anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    I have worked in roles that require asking for ID for years and NONE of those places would accept a photocopy of ID. This is because 1) the photocopy could easily be editted on a computer and 2) there are some really good fake ID's out there. Most places have scanners that you put the ID under to check for certain markings. Cant do this with a photocopy.

(Original post by GradesUnlocked)
    Just go to a different shop. That shop just wasn't having it I guess.
    Strange you guys saying this - never worked/heard of anywhere that would accept a photocopy as genuine ID
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I've never known of anywhere that would accept a photocopy of ID.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasingstokeBoy)
    Why don't you apply for a provisional driving licence? You shouldn't have to pass your test, although I have had shopkeepers being a bit iffy when selling me chocolate liqueurs using that ID.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.