Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In GCSE I got 3-A* 4-A 3-B 1-C
    At AS im confident of probably AABB, With about 95ums on average for maths would that make a good application?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Possible yes, but you really need to be getting at least AAAB in your AS year if you want to make a competitive application.

ReputationRep:
    It also depends on your personal statement and, if you get to interview, how you perform in that. What would you like to apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toomanysdrafts)
    In GCSE I got 3-A* 4-A 3-B 1-C
    At AS im confident of probably AABB, With about 95ums on average for maths would that make a good application?
    For maths? With 95 UMS% across maths and further maths, you have a reasonable chance, even with two B's. It's worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    Its only AABB becaause my physics teacher is bad and the exam was hard

ReputationRep:
    If you do get AABB then I'd say it's just about worth a try, especially with the 95UMS, going by my own trawling through data of other applicants. You've got a chance, more especially if you can demonstrate an enthusiasm through competitions/extended reading, etc. And if you do really well in STEP, they might contact you even if they initially pool/reject you.

http://tom-s.co.uk/tsr/#stalkCourses
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    If you do get AABB then I'd say it's just about worth a try, especially with the 95UMS, going by my own trawling through data of other applicants. You've got a chance, more especially if you can demonstrate an enthusiasm through competitions/extended reading, etc. And if you do really well in STEP, they might contact you even if they initially pool/reject you.

http://tom-s.co.uk/tsr/#stalkCourses
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect

I Plan on reading load of book over the summer as i know they want you to know about stuff off syllabus to show enthusiasm
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by dragonzrmetal)
    And if you do really well in STEP, they might contact you even if they initially pool/reject you.
    No, sorry, but that doesn't happen. Once you have been rejected that's the end of the process for this admissions cycle. Although OP can certainly re-apply next year if they do well and really want to give it another shot.

In GCSE I got 3-A* 4-A 3-B 1-CAt AS im confident of probably AABB, With about 95ums on average for maths would that make a good application?
    If the AA is in Maths/FM then you can be a competitve applicant. All they are really interested in are your maths academics.

People with AABD (AA in Maths/FM) have received offers this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qonnor)
    It also depends on your personal statement and, if you get to interview, how you perform in that. What would you like to apply for?
    Maths which i think will probably be extremely competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No, sorry, but that doesn't happen. Once you have been rejected that's the end of the process for this admissions cycle. Although OP can certainly re-apply next year if they do well and really want to give it another shot.

If the AA is in Maths/FM then you can be a competitve applicant. All they are really interested in are your maths academics.

People with AABD (AA in Maths/FM) have received offers this year.

Oh thatts not too bad, its just that we do M2 in AS which will probably decide what i get
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Oh thatts not too bad, its just that we do M2 in AS which will probably decide what i get
    Honestly, don't worry. Cambridge will even "forgive" 1 bad module if they see the rest are strong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Honestly, don't worry. Cambridge will even "forgive" 1 bad module if they see the rest are strong.
    I don't think they do, my friends brother got like 90-100 ums in his as maths but 74ums on fp1 and they rejected him...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't think they do, my friends brother got like 90-100 ums in his as maths but 74ums on fp1 and they rejected him...
    Did they specifically give that as the sole reason?

ReputationRep:
    FP1 is probably the most important module you can do at AS, as is the hardest. 74 UMS in FP1 is a bit of a sign that you can't cope with hard maths, whereas 74 UMS in e.g. D1 just shows that you don't like following stupid algorithms. Having said that, I only got 82 UMS in FP1 (but 300 in maths) and got an offer for Computer Science with Maths. So it is possible to compensate even for not doing as well as you should in FP1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    FP1 is probably the most important module you can do at AS, as is the hardest. 74 UMS in FP1 is a bit of a sign that you can't cope with hard maths, whereas 74 UMS in e.g. D1 just shows that you don't like following stupid algorithms. Having said that, I only got 82 UMS in FP1 (but 300 in maths) and got an offer for Computer Science with Maths. So it is possible to compensate even for not doing as well as you should in FP1.
    The thing is though because we do M2 in y13 he got 93 ums which i think is harder than fp1

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.