The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Masters at Cambridge is free?

According to Wikipedia article on Trinity College, Cambridge:

"All final year undergraduates who achieve first-class honours in their final exams are offered full financial support to read for a Master's degree at Cambridge (this funding is also sometimes available for students who achieved high second-class honours marks)."

Is this true? I was planning on doing the math tripos for the first 3 years and skipping part IV because I'll be paying full cost as an international student. If I do well on my final exams can I do part IV for free?
Original post by Trinitymaths

"All final year undergraduates who achieve first-class honours in their final exams are offered full financial support to read for a Master's degree at Cambridge (this funding is also sometimes available for students who achieved high second-class honours marks)."

Is this true? I was planning on doing the math tripos for the first 3 years and skipping part IV because I'll be paying full cost as an international student. If I do well on my final exams can I do part IV for free?

I'm not sure about your question, but I think you mean part III instead of part IV (which AFAIK doesn't exist).
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2

Afaik, that is only a Trinity thing.

By the way, the Maths Tripos goes like this (there is no Part IV)

Year 1 : Part IA
Year 2: Part IB
Year 3: Part II = BA
Year 4 : Part III = MMath (or MASt if the undergrad was taken elsewhere)

https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/system/files/triposguide_v2.pdf
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/mathiii
Ok yeah that's what I meant, part III, meaning year IV. So it is indeed a Trinity thing? If so, is it just for British nationals or everyone?
Reply 4
Ok yeah that's what I meant, part III, meaning year IV. So it is indeed a Trinity thing? If so, is it just for British nationals or everyone?

Not being a Trinmo I don't know... Probably best to ask the college.

That wiki entry has been mentioned before on TSR but I don't remember if anyone replied and confirmed the exact terms.
Reply 5
It was previously asked, and confirmed here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63613229&postcount=891

And afaik it doesn't only apply to Maths. Although the link doesn't specifiy the qualifying courses, and the full details are behind the MyTrin intranet.
(edited 7 years ago)

Yes, if you're a trinity undergraduate and achieve a first in the final year, the college will fully-fund for your master's degree and it's for all courses, afaik.
Ok thank you that sounds great.
Original post by vincrows
Yes, if you're a trinity undergraduate and achieve a first in the final year, the college will fully-fund for your master's degree and it's for all courses, afaik.

I called the college today to confirm this, and the admissions secretary said no such program exists or has ever existed. Maybe I talked to the wrong person, but that is not good news. There does't seem to be any information about this Trinity's website. Maybe the thing is so sketchy that even the admissions secretary wouldn't know about it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
I called the college today to confirm this, and the admissions secretary said no such program exists or has ever existed. Maybe I talked to the wrong person, but that is not good news. There does't seem to be any information about this Trinity's website. Maybe the thing is so sketchy that even the admissions secretary wouldn't know about it?

Did you speak to Postgrad admissions?

Did you say it's called the "Trinity Internal Graduate Studentships (IGS)"

It clearly exists... it's on the Trinity site.
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/pg/studentships

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Did you speak to Postgrad admissions?

Did you say it's called the "Trinity Internal Graduate Studentships (IGS)"

It clearly exists... it's on the Trinity site.
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/pg/studentships

Posted from TSR Mobile

I spoke to the "admissions secretary" but I think she handles undergraduate admissions. Yes the Internal Graduate Studentship clearly exists but where does it say that masters candidates who receive a first in final year can get full funding? As I'm not yet a Trinity student, I don't have a MyTrin login to verify this...

I'll send an email to postgrad admission...
Reply 11
I spoke to the "admissions secretary" but I think she handles undergraduate admissions. Yes the Internal Graduate Studentship clearly exists but where does it say that masters candidates who receive a first in final year can get full funding? As I'm not yet a Trinity student, I don't have a MyTrin login to verify this...

I'll send an email to postgrad admission...

In the other thread the Trinity guy said it did, but yes best to email them and it would be cool if you could update the thread with the latest info :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@jneill : I emailed the graduate guys and here's the response I got:

"Part III of the Mathematical Tripos would be a continuation of your undergraduate status, which would not fall under the requirements of the Trinity Internal Graduate Studentship (IGS).

The Trinity IGS scheme supports a number of students (including international) who have undertaken undergraduate or MPhil studies at Trinity College, and who wish to continue to further graduate-level study. It is a condition that anyone considered for an IGS must apply for external funding, including from elsewhere in the University.

If you decided to continue in this way, you would be encouraged to discuss funding opportunities with your Tutor. There is no guarantee of IGS funding. "

So if I understand correctly, only the PhD studies will be funded if you get a first, not the Part III.
Reply 13
@jneill : I emailed the graduate guys and here's the response I got:

"Part III of the Mathematical Tripos would be a continuation of your undergraduate status, which would not fall under the requirements of the Trinity Internal Graduate Studentship (IGS).

The Trinity IGS scheme supports a number of students (including international) who have undertaken undergraduate or MPhil studies at Trinity College, and who wish to continue to further graduate-level study. It is a condition that anyone considered for an IGS must apply for external funding, including from elsewhere in the University.

If you decided to continue in this way, you would be encouraged to discuss funding opportunities with your Tutor. There is no guarantee of IGS funding. "

So if I understand correctly, only the PhD studies will be funded if you get a first, not the Part III.

It would seem so. But I suggest discussing all this with your DoS when you get there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol I'm not going to Trinity if the 4th year isn't free. My parents already can barely afford Cambridge, which is why I wasn't really planning on going anyways.

I followed up with a phone call...the secretary said no such thing exists.
I'm a third year (soon to be fourth year) at Trinity - Fourth year isn't free for me, but my student finance that covered me for years 1,2 and 3 also covers me for next year, However, if you'd be an international student I don't know what sort of student finance schemes are available to you.
Reply 16
lol I'm not going to Trinity if the 4th year isn't free. My parents already can barely afford Cambridge, which is why I wasn't really planning on going anyways.

I followed up with a phone call...the secretary said no such thing exists.

Enjoy Paris then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by slackvariable
I'm a third year (soon to be fourth year) at Trinity - Fourth year isn't free for me, but my student finance that covered me for years 1,2 and 3 also covers me for next year, However, if you'd be an international student I don't know what sort of student finance schemes are available to you.

Indeed the financing scheme available for internationals is a scheme...to steal their money!!!

:angry:
Original post by jneill
Enjoy Paris then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Merci pour votre aide et au revoir :smile:
Reply 19
Merci pour votre aide et au revoir :smile:

De rien. Et bon chance mon brave.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest