Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First off, I'm a 17 year old female student. I've just finished my AS exams yesterday and I'm actually really happy with them, I'm hoping for all A's. However, I have been dreading summer for months because I feel genuine self hatred during school holidays, because I get the feeling that I'm lazy and I should be more productive.

I was counting on getting a summer job to get me through the summer and after a great job interview on Tuesday I was practically just waiting for the call to tell me I'd got the job. But yesterday, I got an out of the blue rejection email and it has plummeted my self esteem. If I can't get a simple summer job, what hope is there for me? I'm desperate to contribute to society because I always feel as though other people my age would look down on me for not having a job. I get EMA but I'm desperate for extra cash also, as I'm keen to study at Queen Mary and London = expensive, yada yada. I just don't know. I feel like I'll just loaf around as a useless member of society all summer. Maybe it's a problem in myself - I don't like to allow myself to take breaks and have time to myself because no matter what I feel like I haven't done anything to deserve it. My best friend has two jobs and he is very understanding and sensitive to my job hunt, but it's almost as if his gentle sympathy at my every rejection makes me feel even more pathetic.

I'm not sure of the point of this thread, I'm just feeling a little down. I've started trying to kill my thoughts with smoking - I'm not at all addicted, but I enjoy the taste and the stress relief it brings. I would have no problem stopping but who knows how that will change in the future. I don't think I have depression as my mental state is entirely dependent on my circumstances; if I were to get a job, all of these feelings I'm sure would disappear. I guess I want to know that I'm not alone in my circumstance/frame of mind, or even just some advice would be much appreciated. I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Apply for another job. Your qualities, hard work and effort can be invested else where. Don't be disheartened by it, life is full of set backs

You could volunteer somewhere? Anything you're interested and that would be useful to put into your personal statement for september xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    First off, I'm a 17 year old female student. I've just finished my AS exams yesterday and I'm actually really happy with them, I'm hoping for all A's. However, I have been dreading summer for months because I feel genuine self hatred during school holidays, because I get the feeling that I'm lazy and I should be more productive.

I was counting on getting a summer job to get me through the summer and after a great job interview on Tuesday I was practically just waiting for the call to tell me I'd got the job. But yesterday, I got an out of the blue rejection email and it has plummeted my self esteem. If I can't get a simple summer job, what hope is there for me? I'm desperate to contribute to society because I always feel as though other people my age would look down on me for not having a job. I get EMA but I'm desperate for extra cash also, as I'm keen to study at Queen Mary and London = expensive, yada yada. I just don't know. I feel like I'll just loaf around as a useless member of society all summer. Maybe it's a problem in myself - I don't like to allow myself to take breaks and have time to myself because no matter what I feel like I haven't done anything to deserve it. My best friend has two jobs and he is very understanding and sensitive to my job hunt, but it's almost as if his gentle sympathy at my every rejection makes me feel even more pathetic.

I'm not sure of the point of this thread, I'm just feeling a little down. I've started trying to kill my thoughts with smoking - I'm not at all addicted, but I enjoy the taste and the stress relief it brings. I would have no problem stopping but who knows how that will change in the future. I don't think I have depression as my mental state is entirely dependent on my circumstances; if I were to get a job, all of these feelings I'm sure would disappear. I guess I want to know that I'm not alone in my circumstance/frame of mind, or even just some advice would be much appreciated. I don't know.
    I think you're worrying too much over nothing, if you don't get a job it's really nothing to worry or get upset about at all. I'm sure you will eventually get one if you apply to enough of them but in the mean time maybe do something to ease your mind and make you feel less "lazy" and more "productive" like taking up a new hobby, hanging with good friends etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And happiness is not a place, otherwise you will spend your life thinking like this "I'd be happy if so and so happened.." just turns into a vicious cycle. Find happiness now - in the blessings you have right now

Keep applying for jobs. I hope your determination will pay off. X

ReputationRep:
    Always remember
    https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files...4859_giphy.jpg
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Keeping it brief. You have bigger issues than getting a job, its to do with your mindset, thought process and way you put pressure on yourself. Its not healthy and you would be doing yourself a favour to sort that out before you go to uni.

Do some volunteer work to help you get a job.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Keeping it brief. You have bigger issues than getting a job, its to do with your mindset, thought process and way you put pressure on yourself. Its not healthy and you would be doing yourself a favour to sort that out before you go to uni.

Do some volunteer work to help you get a job.
    How would one go about sorting it out? Therapy? I'd do anything to get out of this mindset tbh

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about getting turned down for the summer job. Generally places that hire students have a lot of people applying and they'll usually pick the uni students over the college students because they have experience.

If you really want to contribute and do something then keep applying and in the meantime volunteer for some charity work. Can't get turned down for that.

ReputationRep:
    If it's not for money then do voluntary work or apply for internships!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.