Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As we all know the voting system its shite.

What do you think we hould do about it and waht should replace it?

The evidence for the voting system being shite is the fact that only 36.9% of people voted conservatives, that means 63.1% of people got some party incharge which they didnt vote for.

ReputationRep:
    Well we did have a vote on the Alternative Vote a few years ago which was roundly rejected. But to me a system of proportional representation seems fair. That said some don't like it because minority parties get more say. My feeling is that the minorities tame the larger parties. If seems a shame that the Lib Dems got hammered in the last election because in reality they introduced some really good stuff whilst taming the extreme elements of the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeMillerr)
    As we all know the voting system its shite.

What do you think we hould do about it and waht should replace it?

The evidence for the voting system being shite is the fact that only 36.9% of people voted conservatives, that means 63.1% of people got some party incharge which they didnt vote for.
    The two Labour "landslide" elections in '97 and '01 got similar proportions of the vote. Nobody complained then.

Change the voting system by getting more people to vote, that's the only thing you can do.

ReputationRep:
    I would love a change in voting system. In Northern Ireland we use Single Transferable Vote for our local elections and I think it is very fair.

PR is good too, but the problem is that it is hard to have local representatives...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely scrap FPTP which does not truly reflect how the people voted. The main parties love it though because it keeps them in power.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.