The Student Room Group

EU Referendum - someone please explain.

Hey guys. I don't really understand the EU referendum. What is it about? And is it better to vote remain or leave?

P.S. Please don't start insulting other people for having their own opinions. I just want to know what other people think about it. And who is voting in/out.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is a vote to decide whether the UK should Remain a member of or Leave the European Union. The question is asking us whether we want either:

a) a group of unelected beaurocrats telling us how we should run our country, who we should let into our country, and who we should be allowed to trade with. Weekly fee = £350 million.

OR

b) to run our own country, take control of our own destiny, make our own laws, elect the people we want, decide who to let into our country, create our own trade deals without EU restrictions holding us back. Weekly fee = Nothing. We can invest the £350 million on our own priorities instead such as the NHS.

If you want option 'a', then you should vote to Remain. If you want option 'b', then you should vote to Leave the European Union.

It's as simple as that!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Currently we pay the EU £350 million a week. We could use that money on essential public services. If we leave the EU we could negotiate free trade deals with countries around the world.
Reply 3
Original post by ATW1
It is a vote to decide whether the UK should Remain a member of or Leave the European Union. The question is asking us whether we want either:

a) a group of unelected beaurocrats telling us how we should run our country, who we should let into our country, and who we should be allowed to trade with. Weekly fee = £350 million.

OR

b) to run our own country, take control of our own destiny, make our own laws, elect the people we want, decide who to let into our country, create our own trade deals without EU restrictions holding us back. Weekly fee = Nothing. We can invest the £350 million on our own priorities instead such as the NHS.

If you want option 'a', then you should vote to Remain. If you want option 'b', then you should vote to Leave the European Union.

It's as simple as that!

Hmm thanks! That's really helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ATW1

OR

It's as simple as that!

Thats very persuasive tbh. Whats the argument for remaining in?
Here's a tip: dont rely on people's posts here on whether to stay or leave. Use google, find information from both sides and listen to facta. People here will be biased one way or the other and will leave out key information to try to make their point.

I.e. the "unelected beaurocrats" are chosen by our government. The $350 million a week doesnt incorporate what we get back from the EU and more.

Basically find as many sources of information from both sides of the debate, and if possible from as many unbiased sources as possible.
Original post by ATW1

OR

It's as simple as that!

Remember to include rebate which brings it down to £245 million a week. :tongue:

Edit #1: And if we consider the EU budget that is spent on us, it brings it down to like £168 million a week, but we don't get to decide how this budget is spent, and that comes with an EU label; propaganda, despite the excess we pay into the EU.
(edited 7 years ago)
@karishma9156
@kholmes

This is my case for leave, although the post is slightly passive-aggressive.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4161195

Original post by Jee1
Currently we pay the EU £350 million a week. We could use that money on essential public services. If we leave the EU we could negotiate free trade deals with countries around the world.

Remember to include UK rebate, which makes it £245 million a week. (It's like an instant discount or refund we got for being an initial member or sth.)

(I don't include tiny part of the EU budget that is spent on us, because we don't get to decide how that is spent and that comes with an EU label; propaganda.)
Original post by Kholmes1

The EU is the second biggest single market in the world. 44% of our trade comes from it. The amount we pay in per week is worth the amount of investment that we get back. We have record low unemployment and one of the better growth rates. I don't see any reason to change it.
(edited 7 years ago)
The European Union (EU) is an economic & political union of currently 28 countries.

This referendum is about whether we should remain or leave this union.

I think most of the remain arguments are awful and not credible, but I'm probably not the best person to ask for a remain case ('cos I don't think there is one. :tongue:)
Guys, I'm voting out.

BUT THE ACTUAL FIGURE IS £19 BILLION A YEAR.
Original post by karishma9156
Hey guys. I don't really understand the EU referendum. What is it about? And is it better to vote remain or leave?

P.S. Please don't start insulting other people for having their own opinions. I just want to know what other people think about it. And who is voting in/out.

Well, we are in the 2nd largest single market in the World. That means we can trade with france or Germany without paying a tariff.

We are paying 168 million a week to be part of it.That is a reasonable cost because we did more than 25 billion in exports in April. Just imagine how much could be lost.

How many companies said they will invest more if we leave? None.
@XcitingStuart @NinjaOtter @Jee1 @Results

If UK leaves the EU, EU will collapse. Cos UK is essentially financing the entire EU with the strong £ against the failed €. Germany controls the EU and dictates to the other member states when to stand up and when to sit down. France is her close ally despite their colourful history.

If UK leaves, then the other poorer member states would want to follow suit. If UK leaves then many EU citizens working in the UK and living off benefits will have to return back to their home countries. These EU citizens based in UK, don't want this to happen because UK is the only country in EU that offers such amazing benefits.

Many of the lecturers in the UK unis are also against Brexit because if UK pulls out of it then these lecturers will have to return back to their home countries and re-apply via a work permit system. So far nothing unusual? The catch here is that these lecturers of EU origin will have to compete for lecturing jobs with equally abled or far better lecturers from New Zealand, Canada, Australia, India, Hong Kong and Singapore. This is the reason why many lecturers have been writing articles and blogs online to plead with UK citizens to vote in their favour. How selfish!

If you have studied politics at A-level or at uni, depending on who your lecturer is and which textbook you're reading, you will know that ever since UK joined the EU, she has given away her sovereignty to the unelected bureaucrats in Brussels and Luxembourg. I can't help but wonder why UK still needs a Supreme Court when its no longer supreme and a British parliament when it's no longer sovereign?

Do you know that millions of British soldiers have died in several wars over the centuries to protect Queen and country? But Tony Blair let these millions of soldier died in vain because when he was in power for 10 years or so as the Prime Minister of UK, he allowed virtually everyone to enter the UK

without checking if they are holding genuine passports

without checking if they have links to terrorist groups

without checking if they have criminal records in their home countries

without checking if they have genuine educational qualifications or a trade skill

without checking if they have HIV/AIDS

Someone recently asked me why should people wanting to enter into another country, be checked for HIV/AIDS? This is because the government owes a duty to its citizens to protect them from people who may want to infect others with their communicable diseases. This is an extension of a 'social contract theory'. Read up on it if you have time. Educate yourself.

I'm German. As you know, many migrant men raped, molested and sexually abused many women in my country since New Year's Day.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35231046
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...ks-list-crimes
http://www.news.com.au/finance/econo...d65045e65e141d

This is the list of sex crimes against German women in one night. I hope you have a strong stomach for this.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016...-sex-assaults/

You only have to see what the German police commissioner said on national TV to understand the true extent of the migrant crisis. Mind you, the higher command in Germany gave him a piece of their mind following the telecast of this interview. Watch it to believe it.

[video="youtube;SOi8QJD8fiw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOi8QJD8fiw[/video]

You may have read or heard, many of these migrants have turned my country upside down. I hope all of you reading my post, bears this in mind. A country's sovereignty, security and safety of its citizens is so important. With Merkel's blunder, we have become a carbon copy of UK & the rest of EU and their set of problems.

Merkel has been in hiding for many months now. She's pushing 62 years of age. She won't throw in the towel just yet. If UK decides to remain in the EU, I am certain they will make EU into a united states of Europe and she would be the major contender for the post of PM of the USE. Tony Blair has quietened down way too much to be able to stake a claim for that coveted position.

Merkel studied physics and then chemistry. She has no knowledge and understanding about politics, law, finance and sociology. She tells the German public one thing and tells the EU another thing and then tells the world another thing. Sometime back she said that refugees must now return back to their countries of origin after the wars back home have ended.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...-idUSKCN0V80IH

With Turkey's inclusion into the EU imminent, there will be 77 million Turks who will get to make their debut appearance in any of the EU member states. They will not go to France because France has zero tolerance towards Muslims. They will continue to come to Germany or go to the UK where the borders are invincible and where the border agents have zero powers to turn people away.

Vote Leave!
Original post by Kholmes1

You're left wing leaning and don't trust democracy to elect a none conservative government.

Or you're an internationalist who doesn't believe in borders and believe in solidarity with your neighbours in Europe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Probably not great to listen to people on here for an unbiased viewpoint. Then again, an unbiased viewpoint is pretty much impossible to find anywhere, so whatever.
I'm voting out, sick of this **** entirely.

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Probably not great to listen to people on here for an unbiased viewpoint. Then again, an unbiased viewpoint is pretty much impossible to find anywhere, so whatever.

Where do you suggest then, friend? Reddit? Facebook?
Reply 16
Original post by 0to100
I'm voting out, sick of this **** entirely.

Where do you suggest then, friend? Reddit? Facebook?

lol no. I did clarify that there isn't really a good place to go. I'm voting leave but this is simply because the biased information from leavers has been more persuasive to me than the biased information from remainers. Both sides use facts, of course, (sometimes with spin on them..) but even then will phrase them in a certain way to get a certain point across.
Main arguments I've come across offline but online as well for voting remain:

"Not racist."
"Holidays, though."

There's obviously pros and cons to every situation, but seriously now think about the cost-benefits of each and see which really matters in the end. Not being funny but people say it's more beneficial, economically, to stay in the EU mainly because of all the supposed social protection but how is there any, truly, when it keeps being compromised by foreigners? It's not that big of a deal because they don't stay I suppose but in the meantime. It doesn't need to be stopped but it damn sure needs to be regulated. And it's not. It's not a managed situation. So change legislature, don't just let people come in willy nilly, or Leave. There's other fish to fry but that's my concern. I don't plan on going Germany so I don't care about how grand my stay will be because of the EU.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
lol no. I did clarify that there isn't really a good place to go. I'm voting leave but this is simply because the biased information from leavers has been more persuasive to me than the biased information from remainers. Both sides use facts, of course, (sometimes with spin on them..) but even then will phrase them in a certain way to get a certain point across.

Fancy seeing someone awake.

Anyway yea what's some stuff about Leaving that convinces you to do so? Especially which you think is biased. I think **** all is biased. There's morons on both ends true, but the bias I wanna know about.
Reply 19
Original post by 0to100
Fancy seeing someone awake.

Anyway yea what's some stuff about Leaving that convinces you to do so? Especially which you think is biased. I think **** all is biased. There's morons on both ends true, but the bias I wanna know about.

Well, for instance, many will quote the £350 million figure which is inaccurate. The actual figure is convincing enough to me though. The phrase "unelected bureaucrats" is thrown about a lot and while the process is indeed undemocratic, and a massive reason why I want to leave, this phrase and the rhetoric which tends to surround it clearly tries to instil fear/contempt/an "us vs them" mentality. Also the notion that we will be able to pretty much cut all ties with Europe and have effective restrictions on immigration, and have an unshaken economy seem like wishful thinking. But I think that economic issues are temporary, and we will at least increase independence if not gain it entirely.
(yah I had to check my spelling of bureaucrats lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending