Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents want me to do teaching simply bc it's an easy job (I disagree). I really want to study law and become a barrister, I've researched it so much but my family disagrees.

I'm also afraid of going ahead with it cause what if I do decide to study law, but then hate it? Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe try and get some work experience in both areas to see which you would prefer. Definitely don't be pressured, you don't want to regret not following something you could have enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think you should study what you want, as ultimately it is your life! You have to keep in mind that this decision should be something that you make for yourself and not for your parents. Of course if you don't like the course some students then transfer after the first few weeks into another so there is always the option of transferring into another course if it is not suited.

I hope I helped you in some way or another, I have the same problems with my application so I can totally relate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol123456789)
    My parents want me to do teaching simply bc it's an easy job (I disagree). I really want to study law and become a barrister, I've researched it so much but my family disagrees.

I'm also afraid of going ahead with it cause what if I do decide to study law, but then hate it? Help please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If your crazy like me then do Software Engineering
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You have to do what makes you happy. There's no point being stuck in a career your parents want you to do - especially if you're not happy.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of TSR advice on this issue here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...-what-to-study

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can always change your degree when at uni...

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you'll be a teacher of law! Realistically though, look at what your heart desires, you can always do a PGCE afterwards and become a teacher as a fall back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gapyearstudent54)
    You can always change your degree when at uni...
    No you can't, so please be careful about giving this sort of advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My mum is the exact opposite. I wanted to do a degree in primary school education, but she wants me to do a normal degree, then take a law conversion course.

This is hypocritical of me to say as I didn't take my own advice but, go with your heart if you will regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want to do. At the end of the day, it's your life, not your parents. If you worry that you won't like law, you can do another degree (I think history is the most common for this, but I may be wrong) and do a law conversion course, which is quite popular. The most important thing is that you do what you want.

ReputationRep:
    What if my parents end up being right ? Like they always are 😨😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    do what YOU want to do, not your family

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What other subjects do you like? You could do a history degree and have lots of options availible including teaching and Law.

One of high school teachers used to be a barrister, dont stress your degree wont 100% determine your future

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want. If you realise your family are right you can easily take up teaching after your degree by taking a PGCE
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    What if my parents end up being right ? Like they always are 😨😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Parents aren't always right.

(signed, a parent)

PS. If you decide to go down the teaching route later you can do a PGCE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    No you can't, so please be careful about giving this sort of advice.
    You can.. you may have to redo the first year, or be very convincing in the first few weeks, but the majority of unis let you change your course within that first few months if the one you've chosen isn't right for you...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    You could always become a law teacher!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    You could always become a law teacher!
    imagine the amount of time at uni.. AND THE DEBT:ahhhhh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    "redo the first year"
    "be very convincing"

So, not that easy/practical then...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing in life is easy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.