Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll try keep this short.

I'm a 22 year old graduate at one of the biggest banks in the world. I would say that I'm good looking, I work out a lot and I'm pretty lean and stuff. I've never really had a problem with girls, but I'm not the type to play around the field, I'll only enter in with someone I care about. Met my senior managers daughter at a BBQ just after I joined (she's 31). Anyway she seemed like a nice girl and we became friends. Then one day her dad pulls me aside and essentially threatens me that I HAVE to go out with his daughter (as in make her happy, date and stuff) or he'll make my life a living hell (he said it in a sly way that can be interpreted in many different ways, but made it explicitly clear in that moment that he was serious. Sure enough she asked me out and I said yes as a result of this. She's actually very annoying, really clingy, always wanting to interfere in my business (went to go spend a week off I had with my family and she got pissed at me? Wtf). I really don't like her at all, but I'm too scared of what the senior manager said, and I can't imagine he'd be too thrilled with me if I dumped his precious daughter. She's fit but I don't want anything to do with her. This "relationship" has been going on for about 6 weeks now and I can't take any more of it. How do I get out of this mess?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Dump her and report your manager to HR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    The thing is, I've got no actual proof that he threatened me like this (as it was just a conversation we had face to face and nobody was nearby) that he could easily deny, or even play off as a joke. He's been there for years and I don't think they'd take my side as a newbie over his (as it would essentially come down to his word against mine)

Get a proper reason for breaking up with her, catch her doing something? Or whatever will give you an valid and non arguable reason to break up with her

ReputationRep:
    Plan 1) Record him say something somehow.

Plan 2) Just use her to climb higher - turn the negative into something positive long term.

Plan 3) Record him say it AND use her to climb higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I agree , but maybe having a solid reason that you have to break up with her and cannot be with her any longer is any longer

(Original post by Results)
    Plan 1) Record him say something somehow.

Plan 2) Just use her to climb higher - turn the negative into something positive long term.

Plan 3) Record him say it AND use her to climb higher.
    Yessss !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinanciallyFit)
    I'll try keep this short.

I'm a 22 year old graduate at one of the biggest banks in the world. I would say that I'm good looking, I work out a lot and I'm pretty lean and stuff. I've never really had a problem with girls, but I'm not the type to play around the field, I'll only enter in with someone I care about. Met my senior managers daughter at a BBQ just after I joined (she's 31). Anyway she seemed like a nice girl and we became friends. Then one day her dad pulls me aside and essentially threatens me that I HAVE to go out with his daughter (as in make her happy, date and stuff) or he'll make my life a living hell (he said it in a sly way that can be interpreted in many different ways, but made it explicitly clear in that moment that he was serious. Sure enough she asked me out and I said yes as a result of this. She's actually very annoying, really clingy, always wanting to interfere in my business (went to go spend a week off I had with my family and she got pissed at me? Wtf). I really don't like her at all, but I'm too scared of what the senior manager said, and I can't imagine he'd be too thrilled with me if I dumped his precious daughter. She's fit but I don't want anything to do with her. This "relationship" has been going on for about 6 weeks now and I can't take any more of it. How do I get out of this mess?
    He cannot tell u what to do, i mean it is ur life and just dump her, i am a girl and trust me just dont be with her, as the only person who will get hurt in the end will be u and her, so yh try talking to the senior boss and i agree with the other guy tell the senior boss or whoever is in charge about her dad and what he is telling u to do, hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinanciallyFit)
    The thing is, I've got no actual proof that he threatened me like this (as it was just a conversation we had face to face and nobody was nearby) that he could easily deny, or even play off as a joke. He's been there for years and I don't think they'd take my side as a newbie over his (as it would essentially come down to his word against mine)
    There must be other people in that workplace who supports u and knows his true side, and yh i also think u should record ur conversation with him as evidence, like the other person on TSR said

ReputationRep:
    Mate, you've got some good leverage here. Use it to your advantage, it's an absolute dog eat dog cesspit in large corporate banks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.