Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

This has been on my mind for a while now but I've been worrying about it more than ever recently. I'm 22 and an only child. I have friends but don't have any family except my parents. They are very loving, caring and supportive and always have been. They are in their mid-50s now. I witnessed the impact that losing a parent can have on someone when my grandmother died a few years ago. She was 80 and had been unwell for a while. My mum was devastated and it took her a long time to recover from it. I am finding it upsetting to see that my parents are getting old so quickly. My dad now has completely grey hair and is going bald and my mum has grey roots coming through. They also look at least 10 years older than their actual ages. I imagine myself having to organise their funerals and dealing with their finances and possessions while being completely stricken with grief. The thought of it gives me that gut-wrenching sick feeling in my stomach. I think the worst thing by far about being an only child is having to face your parents' deaths alone. I'm not ready and I don't think I ever will be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This has been on my mind for a while now but I've been worrying about it more than ever recently. I'm 22 and an only child. I have friends but don't have any family except my parents. They are very loving, caring and supportive and always have been. They are in their mid-50s now. I witnessed the impact that losing a parent can have on someone when my grandmother died a few years ago. She was 80 and had been unwell for a while. My mum was devastated and it took her a long time to recover from it. I am finding it upsetting to see that my parents are getting old so quickly. My dad now has completely grey hair and is going bald and my mum has grey roots coming through. They also look at least 10 years older than their actual ages. I imagine myself having to organise their funerals and dealing with their finances and possessions while being completely stricken with grief. The thought of it gives me that gut-wrenching sick feeling in my stomach. I think the worst thing by far about being an only child is having to face your parents' deaths alone. I'm not ready and I don't think I ever will be.
    Right, first of all try and just go out more with ur friends, in order to take ur mind off, cause trust me they will be around for a long time, and by worrying u are not helping urself, but instead making urself even more sad and depressed, and please if u do feel like this then just try spending time with them, as not only would u like it but also them, hope this helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.