Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, guys! I am going to be a first-year student at the University of Aberdeen and I'll be moving to Aberdeen with my boyfriend who won't be studying but working. You know that I cannot find a place in the student accommodation because only one of us would be a student. So, it gets a little tough.. I have already sent e-mails to ads in sites such as zoopla, rightmove, citylets and gumtree, but I have no responds. Could you tell me other sites that are reliable? I'm starting to worry a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm just in the same situation as you are. I'm going to look for a flat for rent as well as I will be moving to Abdn with my girlfiriend. However, I think that despite difficulties connected with finding a right flat you shouldn't worry too much. There are many rooms and flats still available. I would suggest that you get in touch with the admission department and maybe they could help with the issue. I am an EU-student and this is what I will do in a copule of weeks. Otherwise try to phone some offers rather than sending them an email as not everyone may check their email inbox regularly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawel21)
    Hi! I'm just in the same situation as you are. I'm going to look for a flat for rent as well as I will be moving to Abdn with my girlfiriend. However, I think that despite difficulties connected with finding a right flat you shouldn't worry too much. There are many rooms and flats still available. I would suggest that you get in touch with the admission department and maybe they could help with the issue. I am an EU-student and this is what I will do in a copule of weeks. Otherwise try to phone some offers rather than sending them an email as not everyone may check their email inbox regularly
    From 50 sent offers I got like 2 or 3 messages that say the room/flat is available. One agency advised me that I should look for a room/flat a month before the date I need to rent it. So, I got a little confidence for being able to find the right one, as you said. What would you be studying at Abdn?

ReputationRep:
    I agree that one month is fair enough to find sth. I am about to go through all the offers at the beginning of July and I am pretty sure that there is going to be sth for me I would also recommend you to browse offers with flats as the money you would spend on a room in the hall of residence is thoroughly enough to rent a flat - additionally you will feel much more comfortable at your own apartment (at least this is what I read about and according to the prices I found in internet it's true, but you never know...).
    I start economics and how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's definitely cheaper to rent a flat instead of a room because the difference in the prices is not that high (about 50 to 100 pounds). I'll be studying Business management and Economics. Guess we'll meet each other at some of the courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatiiEw)
    Yes, it's definitely cheaper to rent a flat instead of a room because the difference in the prices is not that high (about 50 to 100 pounds). I'll be studying Business management and Economics. Guess we'll meet each other at some of the courses.
    Sure we will! And I hope you'll find a right place for you to live in

ReputationRep:
    Well, you can try different sites: roombuddy, spareroom...many of them. Aberdeen is an expensive city in terms of house rental. Luckily I got a room in an apartment right next to uni with the price of 300/month including bills plus a TV. Other accommodation including uni houses....are better but much more expensive, and unnecessary for me anw. You can try to find places in July and Aug, when most students move out and trust me, there are many attractive accommodations with good location and prices. Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    I did this last year (student with non student working boyfriend) and right now its a renters market. People on gumtree and rightmove often forget to take things down, so just dont reply. This is also a good time for cheap holidays as well so keep that in mind.
    I would reccommend aspc and gumtree i found to be reliable as both plaves i have and are currently renting were found there. Way to do it is just send out 10 a day. Dont advertise yourself on gumtree, my landlord says that it comes accross as unwilling to actually find a property for yourself, expecting a landlord to look for you.
    I am on roslin street, and there are loads and loads of 1 bed and 2 bed flatss ranging between 400 to 750pm if that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.