The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Would I be accepted by the Irish people ?

Hello,

I've always felt that Ireland was a really accepting place based on my last few visits (I'm from England ) but I've been reading a few posts on here saying that there is a lot of racism ?

I'm british and have lived in England all my life but I am Indian in ethnicity. I'm planning on moving to Belfast if I get my grades:colondollar:
Could anyone tell me how accepting people in Belfast are ??

I don't mean offence as like I said I've always held Ireland in high regard (I was born in Dublin but we moved straight after my birth ) but it would be nice to hear someone's honest opinion !! Thank you
Reply 1
There's not a lot of racism, not any more than there would be in other parts of the UK/US or Ireland in general, despite some people's best efforts to make it seem that way, generally people are very accepting and open minded here, just like anywhere else.

There are however lots of little "quirks" that you may find different to England in terms of sectarianism and the like, but nothing harmful or anything that would effect you. Nowadays people, especially students don't really care at all about that sort of thing.
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by jmac565
There's not a lot of racism, not any more than there would be in other parts of the UK/US or Ireland in general, despite some people's best efforts to make it seem that way, generally people are very accepting and open minded here, just like anywhere else.

There are however lots of little "quirks" that you may find different to England in terms of sectarianism and the like, but nothing harmful or anything that would effect you. Nowadays people, especially students don't really care at all about that sort of thing.

Thank you !! That's actually really helpful and has made everything seem less daunting !!
Unfortunately Sara, there are idiots everywhere and we have our share. Multiculturalism came later to NI than other parts of Europe, but I don't think you'll find people more intolerant - I think it's actually the opposite.

I think you'll be fine, this isn't a bad spot if you give it time. I think NI is quite an easy-going place most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending