Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    im in year 12 and just finished my AS exams. at a level i took philosophy, psychology and health and social care. i really wanted to become a psychologist but after doung psychology at a level i dont like it. i took philosophy purely because i didnt know what else to take but i found that im really enjoying it and its fun so im considering doing philosophy at uni. however most philosophy grads. go into law, teaching or politics but what else can i do with it?? like career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    like most humanities degrees, get work experience in what you decide you want to do, the degree itself isnt gonna choose that for you.

im doing philosophy and i enjoy logic so I'm thinking of going into programming. Currently starting to teach myself javascript t osee if i like it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by paula2578)
    im in year 12 and just finished my AS exams. at a level i took philosophy, psychology and health and social care. i really wanted to become a psychologist but after doung psychology at a level i dont like it. i took philosophy purely because i didnt know what else to take but i found that im really enjoying it and its fun so im considering doing philosophy at uni. however most philosophy grads. go into law, teaching or politics but what else can i do with it?? like career prospects.
    Someone else's job isn't going to get you a job.

You need to rightly do as the poster above said and do some work experience in a few industries and see if you like it. Nothing will directly link you to Philosophy after graduating unless you go on to a Higher study or whatnot.

You need to find out what career you want to get into and work from there.

ReputationRep:
    um... philosophise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george_c00per)
    um... philosophise?
    its not really a career is it!!????

ReputationRep:
    There's not really much funding in philosophy academia.

ReputationRep:
    its not really a career is it!!????
    It would be a cool career if it was

ReputationRep:
    Maybe go on a path where you think that your philosophies will affect people for the greater good, such as the three paths you said, as well as psychology, business, human resources, or just a job where you have the power to benefit people positively through your composed mind and philosophical ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Full-time professional philosopher XD XD

ReputationRep:
    Flip burgers

ReputationRep:

You can do almost anything you want with a Philosophy degree. According to one study conducted in the US, those who took Philosophy majors had the second highest score for combined 'quantitative' (maths/logical thinking) and aural reasoning of all subjects (only beaten by Physics majors). Philosophy combines the argumentation of the humanities with the logic and precision of the sciences. It is, in many respects, the ultimate subject. Just look it up; there are so many articles online about companies employing Philosophy graduates because of their reasoning skills, and they carry serious earning potential. Also, just take a look at politicians, so many of them have done philosophy or philosophy with something else it's quite ridiculous. A philosophy degree opens more doors than you could ever hope to walk through.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 23, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.