Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Squared up to me and almost went for the punch? Watch

So I was playing football yesterday for my team "Crystal Phallus" () against "Tooting Terriers" and this defender on the other team squared up to me and threatened to punch me lol He was immediately sent off by the ref.

Basically we were both running for the ball towards the byline and I managed to move in front of him as I got the ball. I don't think that's a foul. When I did he went flying off. This guy was roughly my height 6"4 but definitely on the bigger side.

I stood my ground but, luckily, I didn't retaliate.

Why do some people get so aggressive?

I get it's a competitive sport, everyone gets frustrated once in a while when things aren't going their way, but to be this violent is crazy!

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to your situation because when I was on a test day football practice session a guy kept on purposely stamping on my feet with studs. He would look over his shoulder, to make it look like an accident, and then stamp.

Unprofessional football matches between universities and schools are notorious for people that have anger management problems to vent their frustration in a tackle. Or respond by punching or pushing the other person if they get fouled. This is why referees are important.

Congratulations for standing your ground. If you two get into a fight this could have long term consequences. He and his team mates might get you back again at a later date. So yeah, just avoid the situation, or dodge his punches and take the mick and then tell your mates about this complete nutter.

(Original post by oversizedcarrot)
    I can relate to your situation because when I was on a test day football practice session a guy kept on purposely stamping on my feet with studs. He would look over his shoulder, to make it look like an accident, and then stamp.

Unprofessional football matches between universities and schools are notorious for people that have anger management problems to vent their frustration in a tackle. Or respond by punching or pushing the other person if they get fouled. This is why referees are important.

Congratulations for standing your ground. If you two get into a fight this could have long term consequences. He and his team mates might get you back again at a later date. So yeah, just avoid the situation, or dodge his punches and take the mick and then tell your mates about this complete nutter.
    Glad someone can relate to this.

He was loopy as hell, on several other occasions he was claiming fouls and handballs that simply weren't.

Oh well lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.