The Student Room Group
Reply 1
You have already passed the stop line so yes, you have 'jumped' the red light. You can't undo running a red light by reversing back behind the light. Unless you are obstructing traffic there isn't much point in reversing back, just wait patiently.
Reply 2
You should not reverse. It will cause more problems than it solves.

You should either be stopping behind the stop line or not at all. If you were so close to the line that you couldn't stop when the light changed to amber, then continue across the junction and clear it at a steady speed.

If the light was red before crossing the line, then that means you were either going too fast, not paying attention to the amber, or both.
If you only overshoot a bit, no one will bother you. The other two act like they haven't misjudged it before. We've all had those moments where we've overshot the line a bit, or we committed on amber and then changed our minds and ended up stopping a bit over the line.

Technically speaking, overshooting the line IS NOT running the red light. Running a red light means you have failed to stop for a red light, or you have moved off into the junction before the light has changed.

That being said, the stop lines are generally there for a good reason, they may be where they are in order to allow large vehicles like buses to turn into the road, or simply to prevent you from blocking crossings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Im not sure it would do much tbh but you might aswell do it if there is space.
Seeing as youve not jumped the light, i think you would be ok where you were.
Ive done it and nothinf came of it.
i just gone sligtly at red light to join blackwall tunnel then i suddenly stop and waited is it ok
Original post by faizuddin syed
i just gone sligtly at red light to join blackwall tunnel then i suddenly stop and waited is it ok

It’s not permitted to pass the stop line, no.

Will anything come of it? No idea.

Latest