A-level Economics or A-level Geography ??

Watch
PG799
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi everyone, can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should choose Economics or Geography at A-level. I'm equally interested in both and in quite a dilemma. My other A-levels are Biology, History and Psychology could anyone tell me out of Geography and Economics which one would complement my other A-levels the most or which one is more respected by universities. I don't know what I want to do at university and im thinking perhaps Economics will be more beneficial to me as it will show a wider range of skills whereas History and Geography are both humanities. Please help, I need to submit my options by July 1st. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
ihatePE
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
geography and history may be similar as theyre both humanities but the contents differ and therefore provide you with different skills. Economics would benefit history, where as geography will benefit both history and biology and perhaps psychology as well because human geography have some element of people's behaviour. but since your history and literature pick looks really strong, you can get away with a ''softer'' subject like economics and it wouldnt affect your combination
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PG799)
Hi everyone, can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should choose Economics or Geography at A-level. I'm equally interested in both and in quite a dilemma. My other A-levels are Biology, History and Psychology could anyone tell me out of Geography and Economics which one would complement my other A-levels the most or which one is more respected by universities. I don't know what I want to do at university and im thinking perhaps Economics will be more beneficial to me as it will show a wider range of skills whereas History and Geography are both humanities. Please help, I need to submit my options by July 1st. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I would personally suggest geography. Geography is a facilitating subject, so it's more highly favoured by universities than economics (although you've got 2 facilitating subjects already, so you could get away with taking economics if you wanted to!). Geography also goes quite well with biology, which would be helpful I think!

The one you choose is up to you though of course!
Kholmes1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Geography is more facilitating but you already have two facilitating subjects.
I do Economics but not Geography. (I wanted to though but my college didn't offer it.)
Economics is interesting.
Are you sure you want to do your other subjects. I would do both Geography and Economics.
I do Psychology which is alright. Psychology might go well with Biology.
PG799
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kholmes1)
Geography is more facilitating but you already have two facilitating subjects.
I do Economics but not Geography. (I wanted to though but my college didn't offer it.)
Economics is interesting.
Are you sure you want to do your other subjects. I would do both Geography and Economics.
I do Psychology which is alright. Psychology might go well with Biology.
Thanks for the suggestion.
PG799
Rep:
?
(Original post by ihatePE)
geography and history may be similar as theyre both humanities but the contents differ and therefore provide you with different skills. Economics would benefit history, where as geography will benefit both history and biology and perhaps psychology as well because human geography have some element of people's behaviour. but since your history and literature pick looks really strong, you can get away with a ''softer'' subject like economics and it wouldnt affect your combination
Thanks for the advice.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PG799)
Have you any idea what you want to do at university?
PG799
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
I would personally suggest geography. Geography is a facilitating subject, so it's more highly favoured by universities than economics (although you've got 2 facilitating subjects already, so you could get away with taking economics if you wanted to!). Geography also goes quite well with biology, which would be helpful I think!

The one you choose is up to you though of course!
Thanks for the advice.
PG799
Rep:
?
(Original post by Edminzodo)
Have you any idea what you want to do at university?
No idea at the moment, I haven't really given it much thought.
PG799
Rep:
?
(Original post by haqe321)
Is Economics considered a soft subject? If so is A Level Maths, FM, Computing, Economics a strong combination.
I don't think Economics is considered a soft subject, but its not seen as a facilitating subject, whereas Geography is. Also, thanks for your suggestion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (676)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.2%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads