Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Warwick or Loughborough for Business and Management?
    Also, which one is better in terms of student's life?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is stronger in every single academic box. They have such stronger graduate prospects. They are prestigious and have a fantastic reputation. The average grade is much higher. They're internationally renowned, connected with such strong unis such as some Ivies (UPenn, Brown, Cornell) even other American unis such as UCBerkeley and UCLA. They are even opening another campus in California. Loughborough can't compete with Warwick. On top of that, the WBS is so hard to get into and you can get whatever you want the moment you graduate. Good luck. Be wise and choose Warwick. Also, the social life is amazing- Birmingham is half an hour max away by train, campus is pumping during the week, local cities like Warwickshire and Coventry are so close, nothing to hold you back. It's a campus uni, everyone loves it here!

ReputationRep:
    I'll agree with the poster above on choosing Warwick over Loughborough but keep in mind some of the facts he's giving are simply false. Warwickshire isn't a city, it's a county and Warwick Uni isn't near Coventry it's in Coventry. Any connections/research partnerships with American universities likely won't be of any benefit to you and the only universities of the above that WBS have exchange partnerships with are UPenn and Cornell, not sure where you got Brown and UC from (also note that UCLA and UCB are part of the UCal system and you don't get to choose a specific university from the system if your chosen major is oversubscribed). Warwick isn't the hardest business school to get into in the UK by a long shot and whilst you'll be placed well to enter a career in Mergers and acquisitions or Sales and Trading, for the few analyst positions available straight out of uni in private equity and hedge funds it'll be awfully difficult to secure a place (even if you go to Oxbridge or LSE). Top tier strategy consultancies don't (yet) actively recruit WBS students in the same way they do Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial. Regarding student life, I'd recommend you visit both. Which is better will down to you personally with both being campus unis, Warwick has more societies and potentially more to get involved in whilst Loughborough will have the superior sporting facilities. If it's a question of reputation in the business world then Warwick/WBS easily eclipses Loughborough and for this reason I'd say to go with Warwick, however, Shaf's account of just how much better is a perhaps a touch unrealistic.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.wbs.ac.uk/wbs2012/assets/...r%20Abroad.pdf
    For some of the year abroad opportunities offered at WBS.

ReputationRep:
    I'd really echo what Runningback said above. If you want to see which you feel you'll get on with better, go visit them both. Personally I ended up choosing Loughborough (not over Warwick, but other universities) because of how welcoming and relaxed the place felt. Ultimately few people experience the social life at more than one university, and everyone looks for something different in their social life, so this is something you have to decide for yourself.

I'd also note that while they're considered very much secondary to the sports clubs, the societies at Loughborough are pretty decent and diverse, so you're unlikely to struggle to find somewhere you "belong". All the sports clubs also act as social societies when they are not training/playing as you might imagine also.

However if academics is your top consideration then Warwick would be my choice also for Business Studies.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, I was writing just to get my point across. Fast. No one cares how specific the city is, pretty sure if they are applying for Warwick they'll understand what I mean by what's close by. I am aware Warwickshire is a county and Coventry is a city, but UWarwick isn't deeply into Coventry- it's literally in the middle of nowhere, on the outskirts- so by address yes it is, but so what. I wanted to explain how the actual city, the city centre, is closeby and how Warwickshire is a county that's close by that you can visit too, and what it offers such as Leamington Spa. Furthermore, only half of the university is in Coventry by address, just to let you know. The border runs through it. But that's you getting picky. With the exchange comment, Warwick allows you to apply to uni's even if it is not on the exact internet list. They have admitted that their website for exchanges is not fully detailed so not all the departments across the world are on there. They are missing a few. And you don't know where I got the UCs from? How about you go to their website and type in Warwick. The Warwick website for exchanges is in need of a revamp, coming from a Warwick student, I'd know what exchanges are going on. Especially over the fact that I'm living with so many exchange students. To touch on once more, yes, when you're applying for UC, you are allowed to choose a specific one most of the time, (obviously unless an oversubscription happens). I mentioned UCB and UCLA because they are the best of all of them. Just because Brown isn't in the link you posted, doesn't mean it isn't there http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/northameri...sion/visiting/ The WBS can offer some, but remember it is still a part of the University Of Warwick and they'll throw in departments that aren't linked as well to the best of their abilities. Also, maybe you should read about why Warwick is opening a campus in California too.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/comple...-the-uk-2016-4 http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search= 26th in the world too. Above Imperial, Sydney, joint with Yale etc. No need to undermine Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    I mean if for some reason connection to nearby cities is a priority, surely you'd go for Loughborough given it has Derby, Leicester and Nottingham all in very close proximity and Birmingham not much further away.

I mean, you can get to London in about an hour from either of them. I'm unsure why it's a large consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShafTJB)
    Funnily enough, I was writing just to get my point across. Fast. No one cares how specific the city is, pretty sure if they are applying for Warwick they'll understand what I mean by what's close by. I am aware Warwickshire is a county and Coventry is a city, but UWarwick isn't deeply into Coventry- it's literally in the middle of nowhere, on the outskirts- so by address yes it is, but so what. I wanted to explain how the actual city, the city centre, is closeby and how Warwickshire is a county that's close by that you can visit too, and what it offers such as Leamington Spa. Furthermore, only half of the university is in Coventry by address, just to let you know. The border runs through it. But that's you getting picky. With the exchange comment, Warwick allows you to apply to uni's even if it is not on the exact internet list. They have admitted that their website for exchanges is not fully detailed so not all the departments across the world are on there. They are missing a few. And you don't know where I got the UCs from? How about you go to their website and type in Warwick. The Warwick website for exchanges is in need of a revamp, coming from a Warwick student, I'd know what exchanges are going on. Especially over the fact that I'm living with so many exchange students. To touch on once more, yes, when you're applying for UC, you are allowed to choose a specific one most of the time, (obviously unless an oversubscription happens). I mentioned UCB and UCLA because they are the best of all of them. Just because Brown isn't in the link you posted, doesn't mean it isn't there http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/northameri...sion/visiting/ The WBS can offer some, but remember it is still a part of the University Of Warwick and they'll throw in departments that aren't linked as well to the best of their abilities. Also, maybe you should read about why Warwick is opening a campus in California too.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/comple...-the-uk-2016-4 http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search= 26th in the world too. Above Imperial, Sydney, joint with Yale etc. No need to undermine Warwick.
    Regarding the city issue, you'll find that sometimes (international) students don't really understand the location of Warwick and are sometimes disappointed initially when they start, I just wanted to clarify that.
    Warwick allow you to apply anywhere for exchange (several universities do) but if it doesn't have a partnership with WBS you have to pay the full fees upon arrival as opposed to the heavily subsidised fees you're entitled to as part of the exchange program. Last I spoke to the course director for International Management, some departments (e.g. economics) had partnerships with the UCal system but WBS were still working on establishing one in the near future. Regarding oversubscribed or 'impacted' majors, both Business and Economics are on there meaning you'll be allocated to where there's space which is highly unlike to be UCB (Haas). Same applies to Brown, any partnerships available aren't relevant to a WBS student (also as I said in the link I posted those are only some of the study abroad opportunities available).

I'm in no way trying to undermine Warwick by suggesting that they aren't actively sought after by strategy consulting houses but the numbers show that the largest intake of business analysts come from Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial and for the few analyst positions available at Hedge Funds and PE Funds they're extraordinarily difficult to obtain even from Oxbridge, applicants from other universities would have to be exceptional in another way to be in with a shot. Saying that "You can get whatever you want the moment you graduate" is misleading so I wanted to clear that up.

Regarding the Business Insider link WBS attracts some of the top A-Level students year after year but the hierarchy changes year by year too, from the Complete University Guide cited in the BI link Warwick (471) had lower average UCAS points for business courses than UCL (472), KCL (476), Bath (490), Strathclyde (505), LSE (520) and St Andrews (521) and equal with Durham and Exeter http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...Studies&y=2016 that's nothing against Warwick, I'd put their business degrees above all of those academically with the exception of LSE and maybe equal to St Andrews depending on your educational preferences. The hierarchy in terms of entry standards will likely change once again next year.

Finally, with regards to the QS ranking; Warwick does indeed shine when it comes to Business, Economics and Maths in particular but unfortunately it's still not seen by some employers as being as good as Imperial overall as a university (although this can be put down in part to Imperial's narrow focus on STEM subjects meaning they can focus all of their immense funding on a smaller number of disciplines) and certainly not seen as being on Yale's level. In picking between the two I'd say which campus/student life you prefer will be the more important factor as whether or not you're happy will impact on your grades. If you're aiming for a job in finance or a large degree of module flexibility I'd take Warwick without question but as an undergraduate I'd say to factor in student experience as well. After all you'll be spending the next 3-4 years there!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.