Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What the newspapers say about #EUref - does it matter? Watch

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    All the Sunday papers and many of the dailies have now declared which side of the referendum they are supporting.

Leave
    =====
    Sunday Times
    Sunday Telegraph
    The Sun
    The Sun on Sunday
    The Express
    Sunday Express
    The Spectator

Remain
    ======
    The Times
    Sunday Mirror
    Sunday People (if voter is undecided)
    The Observer
    Mail on Sunday
    Financial Times
    The Economist
    New Statesman

Undeclared (so far...)
    =========
    Daily Mail
    Daily Telegraph
    The Mirror
    The Guardian
    The Independent
    Daily Mail

Any surprises? It's notable Rupert Murdoch's Sunday Times goes for Leave, but The Times says Remain, and both editions of his Sun go with Leave. Also MoS is Remain while Daily Mail seems certain to say Leave.

Interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sure it matters. Newspapers are many people's only experience of partisan commentary on current affairs, given the requirements for neutrality and balance imposed on television. I'm surprised the Sunday Times is apparently Leave though - I've not read their actual statement yet, and suspect it was a bit more nuanced, but that will rub many of their readers and subscribers (including myself) up the wrong way.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yeah, sure it matters. Newspapers are many people's only experience of partisan commentary on current affairs, given the requirements for neutrality and balance imposed on television. I'm surprised the Sunday Times is apparently Leave though - I've not read their actual statement yet, and suspect it was a bit more nuanced, but that will rub many of their readers and subscribers (including myself) up the wrong way.
    I dont have the full editorial but seems pretty clear support for Leave.
    Name:  1466347438655.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  80.1 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.