The Student Room Group

Why is Game of Thrones so popular?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:redface:

Okay good to hear. They are far too frequent at the moment, it just kills it for me. :s-smilie:

To make matters worse, she's from quite a conservative Indian Sikh family :lol: I think her dad recommended they watch it together but he obv didn't know about the scenes in it.

I know what you mean, I was a bit surprised when I first started watching it. You'll eventually find out why everyone's obsessed by the programme though.
Give it a bit of time and watch the plot develop :yes:
Reply 23
I think it encourages a lot of speculation about plot elements and the relationships between characters, and therefore has become very successful at engaging its viewership. It's not a show you just watch - it's a show you talk about with your friends.
Okay, hear me out peeps. :redface:

I spent 2 years of my 6th form life hearing about people talking about GOT and how unbelievably amazing it is. After hearing all this hype surrounding it, I planned to watch it last summer. I didn't get around to watching it but I have today since my exams have finished.

Okay, so I have only watched one episode so far so I haven't given it a proper chance, but I have picked up quite a bit of knowledge on GOT by watching scenes on youtube.

anddddd I don't like it. I mean, I think my main issue is the constant rape, incest and nudity which puts me off. It's a bit much all in one go.

It's a really odd series. It has made me wonder what the books are like. :s-smilie:

So help me understand why GOT is supposedly so amazing?

Just watch it all the way through and you'll see why. The plot is ****ing fantastic and so complex it's amazing.

The start of the first season is slowish for a bit. It gets really good towards the end and the next 5 seasons are just orgasmic.
Original post by miser
I think it encourages a lot of speculation about plot elements and the relationships between characters, and therefore has become very successful at engaging its viewership. It's not a show you just watch - it's a show you talk about with your friends.

but...but....what if you don't have friends to talk about GOT with? :cry2:
Original post by Serine Soul
Give it a bit of time and watch the plot develop :yes:

I won't give up on it yet. :colondollar:
Reply 27
but...but....what if you don't have friends to talk about GOT with? :cry2:

There's always the TSR thread. :h:
Reply 28
I actually watched it without knowing about the nudity and stuff.. But then I realised why it so popular, and after around episode 5 I couldn't take it, there was too much nudity half the time I didn't get what was going on and the plot was so slow and boring. If u are looking for something to watch other then crime like flash, arrow and daredevil then I'd suggest supernatural, it just gets bigger and bigger every season and it has the comedy episodes from time to time too and it has a lot of seasons for u free people.
Don't watch it, my parents forced me to watch it and now I have to tune in every week to see about 5 minutes worth of the 3 or so characters I actually care about and the rest of it I just suffer through, wish I'd never started watching it in the first place
Reply 30
Because the rest of the shows on TV are pretty much ****e.
No offence, but that was really stupid of you; by watching scenes on YouTube you're spoiling it for yourself, and you wouldn't understand the context of said scenes.

Really silly idea; stop now if you still plan to watch it.
The first episode is quite bad in terms of the amount of sex and nudity etc.

Give it another chance and keep watching and I'm sure you'll start to see what everyone's so interested in :yep:
I won't give up on it yet. :colondollar:

Certain characters just give me headaches when I see them now :colonhash:
Other characters have developed in an amazing manner. My favourite by far being Arya :heart:
I don't even know why I still watch it, the new season doesn't even make sense and there's been like no progression since the end of last season to now.
D&D are great at adapting, but god-awful at writing
Surely that is not why it's so popular? Surely not! :redface:

Oh my god I hope not, that is worrying. :cry2:

Watch the first Happy Valley series. It's excellent.
I gave up way to quickly on it! :redface:

I'm on the third episode now. It is really good :colondollar:
Tits, Dragons and tits

Quick Reply