Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have failed 2nd year, but have already started my work placement (sandwich course) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am studying a "sandwich course", which if you didn't know - means I take a year off in-between 2nd and 3rd year to work. I just finished my second year of study and I have started my years work placement. The problem is I know I have failed 2nd year. I went into my exams knowing i hadn't put enough in, and that its theoretically impossible for me to pass. I now go into work everyday, pretending everything is fine. But really Im freaking out, as I don't know what my options are. I know everything will go 'tits-up' when results are released.

My employers hired be under the pretence of me getting a 2:1 in 2nd year. I have been working there for just over a month now, and have settled in fine. I REALLY ENJOY IT. But i'm panicking as I do not know what my options are regarding me failing my 2nd year.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You need to read the rule book for your uni and department, which will identify what happens for progression in such situations.

If you cant manage that and need assistance then go and talk to an advisor in the SU or the person in charge of placements or your tutor.

Your supervisor at your placement may eb able to offer guidance as to their attitude. You give no idea what you mean by fail. You dont have your results yet and there is a difference between getting under 40% and 58%. I suspect your results arent an actual fail, but may be less than a 2:1 in such a case it will fall down to your employer. Vuild a good rapport and do good work with them.

ReputationRep:
    You can do the resit exams and pass the modules you failed that way. The re-sits are usually just before or just after Christmas. You can only get a lower mark from them - but you can claw back the points in your third year or attempt to take the odd extra module during your sandwich year !

Don't worry - failing an exam is not the end !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorDC)
    You can do the resit exams and pass the modules you failed that way. The re-sits are usually just before or just after Christmas. You can only get a lower mark from them - but you can claw back the points in your third year or attempt to take the odd extra module during your sandwich year !

Don't worry - failing an exam is not the end !!
    Without knowing the OP's university, course, modules or marks everything you said is pure speculation, and there's no need to speculate when all the answers will be available, as 999tigger said in the post before yours, in OP's uni/department handbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Without knowing the OP's university, course, modules or marks everything you said is pure speculation, and there's no need to speculate when all the answers will be available, as 999tigger said in the post before yours, in OP's uni/department handbook.

If you call experience of such issues speculation then so be it. I have been through University from start to finish (BsC - PhD) and have seen many fail numerous modules and claw their way back to a good mark !

They wanted advice and i gave it - they do not need negativity (which leads to low confidence) as it is the primary cause of failure at University !

ReputationRep:
    If you call experience of such issues speculation then so be it. I have been through University from start to finish (BsC - PhD) and have seen many fail numerous modules and claw their way back to a good mark !

They wanted advice and i gave it - they do not need negativity (which leads to low confidence) as it is the primary cause of failure at University !
    Oh get off your high horse. You dont know OP's particular circumstances so your experience counts for little. You're not the only one here with multiple degrees, and I'm surprised you don't know the correct abbreviation is BSc.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

The OP asked about a specific situation namely the effect of failing a module on his current placement.
    What happens in that situation will depend on what the rule book says for that individual institution as they all have different rulebooks.

Its not about whether he cna retake a module and pull it back later, but whether they allow him to progress from year 2 into the placement or whether his placement employer who has specified a 2:1 will cancel the placement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.