Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!
    As seen by the question I'm quite stressed atm I honestly don't know how to choose between these courses.

So anyone who has taken either of these courses could you describe your experience, workload (I've heard its insane for both), where you did/ are doing your degree and how difficult the content is.

I am currently in A2 and sometimes struggle with content in Biology, is this normal? As I've heard uni level bioscience is a massive jump...

Thank you!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Biomedical uses more biology than biochemistry, so if you struggle with biology at A levels it might be better choosing BioCHEMISTRY. These courses are very alike and if it's at the same university then often if you make a formal suggestion 2/3 weeks into your course you can change it.

Workload should be similar. At university you do work at least twice as hard than you did at college, in my experience.

I don't do biochemistry or biomedicine but share some modules with students who are. Biomedicine has slightly better graduate prospects.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Both courses are very similar in terms of what you can do with them and workload. Have a look at course structures to get an idea of what will be taught and go with what interests you more.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Sheek1234)
    Hey all!
    As seen by the question I'm quite stressed atm I honestly don't know how to choose between these courses.

So anyone who has taken either of these courses could you describe your experience, workload (I've heard its insane for both), where you did/ are doing your degree and how difficult the content is.

I am currently in A2 and sometimes struggle with content in Biology, is this normal? As I've heard uni level bioscience is a massive jump...

Thank you!!!!!
    Biomedical science will be more applied biology in studying human disease. You'd do stuff like physiology, pharmacology and stuff. Biochemistry is more pure sciencey where you'd study stuff like genes, proteins, membranes etc.

Wouldn't say one is harder than the other, but they're just different. Career-wise, a biochemistry degree would be better for going into research as it gives you a better knowledge base (IMO), but biomedical sciences is more orientated towards becoming an NHS lab technician.

A lot of universities offering both courses will have a common first year so there will be opportunities to switch once you've started. This is the case at Edinburgh anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Career-wise, a biochemistry degree would be better for going into research as it gives you a better knowledge base (IMO), but biomedical sciences is more orientated towards becoming an NHS lab technician.
    Just wanting to correct a misconception there. Accredited biomed degrees lead to biomed careers in the NHS. With all you can do research as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Just wanting to correct a misconception there. Accredited biomed degrees lead to biomed careers in the NHS. With all you can do research as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep of course, though in general, biochemistry degrees tend to be more research orientated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    Yep of course, though in general, biochemistry degrees tend to be more research orientated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do you say that? Biomed and biochem degrees differ in terms of content and focus but you still do a research project at the end of both and gain the required skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.