How I see the Brexit situation.

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    This is one of many reasons I believe we should leave.

It also applies to everyday life too.

[ESTIMATED READ TIME: 4 MINS]

Several generations ago, during one of the most turbulent of the desert wars in the Middle East, a spy was captured and sentenced to death by a General of the Persian Army. The General, a man of intelligence and compassion, had adopted a strange and unusual custom in such areas. He permitted the condemned person to make a choice. The prisoner could either face the firing squad or pass through the Black Door.

As the moment of execution drew near, the General ordered the spy be brought before him for a short, final interview, the primary purpose of which was to receive the answer of the doomed man to the query: "What shall it be - the firing squad or the Black Door?"

This was not an easy decision and the prisoner hesitated, but soon made it known that he much preferred the firing squad to the unknown horrors that might wait for him behind the ominous and mysterious door. Not long thereafter, a volley of shots in the courtyard announced that the grim sentence had been fulfilled.

The General, staring at his boots, turned to his aide and said, "You see how it is with men: they will always prefer the known way to the unknown. It is a characteristic of people to be afraid of the undefined. Yet, I gave him his choice."

"What lies behind the Black Door?" asked the aide.

"Freedom," replied the General, "and I've known only a few men brave enough to take it."

This story illustrates the situation many of us face each day - a choice between the known and the unknown. Few people have the courage to come alive, to stop being engulfed in a sea of mediocrity. Too many are humbled and dulled by their failure to recognize their own potential. They lack the guts to stop living their lives in a mentally chloroformed condition in that ignoble mass of humanity, the uncommitted.

William James once said, "The one thing that will guarantee the successful conclusion of a doubtful undertaking is faith in the beginning that you can do it."

If you keep thinking the way you've always thought, you'll keep doing what you've always done, and you'll keep getting what you've always gotten.

Take a deep breath, and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    You posted it a mere 21 minutes ago.

'Twas... poetic.

ReputationRep:
    The story sounds unrealistic.
    I would pick the door.

And it's not as simple as saying 'be brave and pick the unknown it will change your life blah blah'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Results)
    Oh, thoughts?
    I like it. Though I don't see the EU as a firing squad, more of a needy bunch of friends. And there may be uncertainty in leaving, but I honestly don't think there is a good chance that things will turn out for the better. That's the view of a remain voter though, you probably have a different outlook on the future of the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmElephant)
    I would pick the door.

And it's not as simple as saying 'be brave and pick the unknown it will change your life blah blah'.

Of course it's unrealistic - I'd also pick the door since there's that chance of something better. But hey ho.

The moral of the story is we'll NEVER know if there's something better if we don't go for it.

ReputationRep:
    gayest argument for out ive ever heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    gayest argument for out ive ever heard
    1) F*ck yourself with the first word.

2) It wasn't an argument - you're just slow, I said the moral of the story is one of the reasons I'd like out.

3) Have a nice day.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of many reasons I believe we should leave.

It also applies to everyday life too.

Several generations ago, during one of the most turbulent of the desert wars in the Middle East, a spy was captured and sentenced to death by a General of the Persian Army. The General, a man of intelligence and compassion, had adopted a strange and unusual custom in such areas. He permitted the condemned person to make a choice. The prisoner could either face the firing squad or pass through the Black Door.

As the moment of execution drew near, the General ordered the spy be brought before him for a short, final interview, the primary purpose of which was to receive the answer of the doomed man to the query: "What shall it be - the firing squad or the Black Door?"

This was not an easy decision and the prisoner hesitated, but soon made it known that he much preferred the firing squad to the unknown horrors that might wait for him behind the ominous and mysterious door. Not long thereafter, a volley of shots in the courtyard announced that the grim sentence had been fulfilled.

The General, staring at his boots, turned to his aide and said, "You see how it is with men: they will always prefer the known way to the unknown. It is a characteristic of people to be afraid of the undefined. Yet, I gave him his choice."

"What lies behind the Black Door?" asked the aide.

"Freedom," replied the General, "and I've known only a few men brave enough to take it."

This story illustrates the situation many of us face each day - a choice between the known and the unknown. Few people have the courage to come alive, to stop being engulfed in a sea of mediocrity. Too many are humbled and dulled by their failure to recognize their own potential. They lack the guts to stop living their lives in a mentally chloroformed condition in that ignoble mass of humanity, the uncommitted.

William James once said, "The one thing that will guarantee the successful conclusion of a doubtful undertaking is faith in the beginning that you can do it."

If you keep thinking the way you've always thought, you'll keep doing what you've always done, and you'll keep getting what you've always gotten.

Take a deep breath, and go for it.

tl; dr, but just skimming it, you get a F- in your efforts to convince people to vote Brexit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esoteric-)
    tl; dr, but just skimming it, you get a F- in your efforts to convince people to vote Brexit
    I wasn't trying to convince people.

Look at the title of the thread....it's one of many reason how I look at the situation.

You get an F in reading and understanding. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't trying to convince people.

Look at the title of the thread....it's one of many reason how I look at the situation.

You get an F in reading and understanding. Thanks.
    No, actually I get an A+ for not wasting my life reading your bullsh*t

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmElephant)
    I would pick the door.

Of course it's unrealistic - I'd also pick the door since there's that chance of something better. But hey ho.

The moral of the story is we'll NEVER know if there's something better if we don't go for it.
    I wouldnt be so sure.

If you ever find yourself on a site that shows ISIS executions etc.. One question always gets asked by anybody new to them (And perhaps people familiar with them) ... "Why do they not resist?" "Why do they not go down with a struggle kicking and fighting?"

The answer we can only guess at is the fear of something even worse coming their way than the certain death they are about to endure

ReputationRep:
    Who takes 4 minutes to read 267 words?

ReputationRep:
    vote remain. the grass isnt always greener on the other side

ReputationRep:
    Basically, this story sums up the leave argument.

Full of emotion and no facts .

The reality is that we know what is behind the black door in the short term.

29% of German and British companies said they will reallocate Jobs in in a Brexit

2/3 of American companies that employ 300,000 have said that Brexit will negatively impact their investments.

How many companies have said they will increase their investment in Brexit? Zero.

Can leave guarantee that we can get those jobs back? No.

ReputationRep:
    Nice story. Has absolutely nothing to do with the EU though.

ReputationRep:
    Very poetic.

ReputationRep:
    1) F*ck yourself with the first word.

2) It wasn't an argument - you're just slow, I said the moral of the story is one of the reasons I'd like out.

3) Have a nice day.
    im slow and yet you think your post takes 4 mins to read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by banterboy)
    im slow and yet you think your post takes 4 mins to read
    Lmao, that was just a random estimate.

You're pulling anything out now, so f*ck off

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.