Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ex says he thinks he'll regret breaking up with me watch

Announcements

A few weeks ago my ex broke up with me. We'd been together just over a year and had been close friends for about a year before that.

It was a confusing break up in the sense that nothing was wrong with our relationship but he felt he'd grown distant from me and felt that breaking up was the right thing to do. We both cried a lot and he told me that he wanted to remain friends as he couldn't imagine me not being in his life.We've met up a few times since breaking up, the first time we ended up kissing and the second time I ended up getting upset as we said goodbye.

I've initiated no contact twice, the first time he got back in touch with me as he was upset about something, and I decided to open up the lines of communication until I knew he was ok. The second time I initiated a few days ago after the last time I saw him as seeing him reminded me I was still hurt and I needed time away from him if we wanted to salvage a friendship.

Before cutting contact he told me that he will always love me and that he misses me and that he's not 100% sure with his decision of breaking up with me but he's started to feel more comfortable with it. However, he's admitted he thinks he will regret breaking up with me at some point. I said he only feels comfortable with his decision as we've still be talking since breaking up so he hadn't really ''lost' me and that when I initiated no contact the first time the brevity of the situation hit him which is why he reached out.

I'm not looking for advice on how to get him back or comments telling me he will ask me back. I just want to know if it's common for people who initiate a break up to tell someone they love them and miss them and that they think they will one day regret their decision. It just feels so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Going fine and you two broke up because you two " distanced " ... yea ... poor guy

Lol unlike my ex who didnt regret breaking up with me, cheated on my by having sex in my garden with some other dudes and then moved to Australia with her sooo rich boyfriend and now enjoys posting pictures on instagram in her new sports car

(Original post by ckfeister)
    Going fine and you two broke up because you two " distanced " ... yea ... poor guy
    I'm not sure I follow?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm not sure I follow?
    When you say " you two distant from each other " you mean leaving school and going into their own careers, being themselves? Thats normal... you just evolve with it, if it was stable...

(Original post by ckfeister)
    When you say " you two distant from each other " you mean leaving school and going into their own careers, being themselves? Thats normal... you just evolve with it, if it was stable...
    No, as in emotionally distant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No, as in emotionally distant.
    Maybe they quietly are more emotionally attached but don't know how to show... he seems like he still wants to be with you ( I'm guessing this as I'm the same I give hints rather than show probably )
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its just guilt and his inabiliyu to deal with the situation. By failing to be cruel to be kind he is giving you mixed messages becayse he wnats it both ways,hence all this I will always love you and stuff. he sjould just say he wanst that into you, its over, which you the best and resume any friendship a year or two down the line.
    Weak behaviour by him and if you wnat to get over it, then cut contact including all social media. At the moment you are just in an area of confusion that will prevent you moving forward.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Its just guilt and his inabiliyu to deal with the situation. By failing to be cruel to be kind he is giving you mixed messages becayse he wnats it both ways,hence all this I will always love you and stuff. he sjould just say he wanst that into you, its over, which you the best and resume any friendship a year or two down the line.
    Weak behaviour by him and if you wnat to get over it, then cut contact including all social media. At the moment you are just in an area of confusion that will prevent you moving forward.
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I think it's quite normal for people who have gone through an amicable break up (or relatively amicable) to worry about whether they have made the right decision and to miss the other person, after all if that person has been a major part of your life that is a huge change to get used to and if you didn't have a big reason to break up it can feel easier to go back to the relationship. This is where people need space so they're not causing more distress by voicing these thoughts, you both need to learn to cope alone. I would personally think that it takes a lot to break up after a year and if you've reached that decision it's probably the right one and you will only reach it again if you get back together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.