Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The USA has massive internal migration and they don't have moaning minies Watch

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with these brexit people??

Are they just nutters or is there something different about internal EU migration compared to USA internal migration?

To me they just seem nutty.

ReputationRep:
    *minnies.

Sorry just had to correct

ReputationRep:
    that's nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    *minnies.

Sorry just had to correct
    Its the Brexit version, they don't like too many letters in their words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    Its the Brexit version, they don't like too many letters in their words.
    On a more serious note, I think maybe its because America is a much bigger country, so the effects of migration don't hit as hard. Also America doesn't have things that can prove to be an incentive for migrants such as free healthcare and a high minimum wage.

That's what I think anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Are they just nutters or is there something different about internal EU migration compared to USA internal migration?
    I wonder if it could possibly have anything to do with the different population densities? 35 people per square kilometre in the USA, compared to 255 per square kilometre in the UK. Couple this with a long thin country that has only narrow major communication corridors, the lack of suitable space for big airports and you may understand some of the problems. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    They don't mind as much because they are people from the same country.

They don't like it when Mexicans come, they are moaning minies about that....

ReputationRep:
    On a more serious note, I think maybe its because America is a much bigger country, so the effects of migration don't hit as hard. Also America doesn't have things that can prove to be an incentive for migrants such as free healthcare and a high minimum wage.

If we had a high minimum wage then there wouldn't be as much 'cheap labour' from Eastern Europe here because they would be 'expensive labour' like the British workers.

ReputationRep:

The EU is about the same size (in square miles as the USA).
    The average size of a state in the USA is about the size of the UK.

When the "rust belt" collapsed in 2008 millions (literally) of people moved to states that were doing OK (like Poles moving to UK, Germany, Sweden, Finland, Holland etc).

This also happend with New Orleans floods.

You don't catch the states that take in these millions complaining

You're just being naive or daft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    They don't mind as much because they are people from the same country.

They don't like it when Mexicans come, they are moaning minies about that....
    the USA is made up of the same nationalities as the EU (poles, germans, english, irish, Africans, asians etc etc, in more or less identical amounts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    If we had a high minimum wage then there wouldn't be as much 'cheap labour' from Eastern Europe here because they would be 'expensive labour' like the British workers.
    That is a good idea and I think perhaps that is what should be done.
    The problem might be that a lunch might go up from £3.95 to £4.95....
    Would the UK office worker pay that or would that be just too much?

It depends. If it works Great!!!

ReputationRep:

Wrong!

USA Citizens complain about Latin America immigration though Mexico.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Wrong!

USA Citizens complain about Latin America immigration though Mexico.
    What on earth are you on about? You can't even be bothered to stay on topic.
    Do you know what the word "INTERNAL MIGRATION" means...

I give up. Britexit people are dumb or liars.

If you want proof Illegaltobepoor" has given it.

"Wrong!" - words fail me.

ReputationRep:
    What on earth are you on about? You can't even be bothered to stay on topic.
    Do you know what the word "INTERNAL MIGRATION" means...

I give up. Britexit people are dumb or liars.

If you want proof Illegaltobepoor" has given it.

"Wrong!" - words fail me.
    Actually I'm not wrong. Will tell you why. The USA wants to create its own EU known as the Amero. Canada, USA + Mexico.

Its already been stealth-ed in 1 way or another. I'll get the papers if u like?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh... Ignorance is bliss right?

Not everyone is voting leave because of migrants. Remainers like to make the point that this whole thing isn't just about migrants, yet you all seem to keep going on about it.

Also, it's worth pointing out that while US citizens don't tend to complain about internal migration, as evident by Trump's support, there seems to be a pretty large dislike towards migration from Mexico.

ReputationRep:

Its also about 70 billion times bigger than the UK. Seems an important thing you are not understanding. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    That is a good idea and I think perhaps that is what should be done.
    The problem might be that a lunch might go up from £3.95 to £4.95....
    Would the UK office worker pay that or would that be just too much?
    Higher wages is why coffee/sandwiches/beer etc costs a lot more in Switzerland.

The irony is when higher minimum wages are discussed, it's the UKIPers and right wing of the Tory party - the same ones who tell us this story about immigration having driven down wages - who come telling us it would be a disaster and send unemployment through the roof. So they might take some convincing that us following the approach of their beloved Switzerland would be acceptable for the UK.

ReputationRep:
    When brits first arrived in Virginia, they took free houses, and plantations. from the indigenous poulations.
    And they thrived, because of this notion of free land.

Whilst south america had lords and serfs. They didnt thrive anywhere near as much.

They have racial segregation the same way as we do here, except, they go around mass murdering.

ReputationRep:

Have you been following the debate at all? The EU is nothing at all like the USA.

48 of the 50 US States do not speak a foreign language and learn English as a second language. 48 States are not united in a Eurozone that has entirely different economic policies from the other two. All states share Common Law, there is not one state that has a free and fair legal system whilst the others use the Code Napoleon. The US Presidency is elected but the EU Commission is appointed and so on..

Any one who goes into this Referendum thinking that they are voting for a Union like the USA is making a huge mistake.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.