Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First of all thank you for taking some time to read my thread!

I'm in dire need of some help in what choices I make in the near (maybe not so near?) future. I should start off by saying for the past 3 years I have done an apprenticeship in Hairdressing. I'm fully qualified now and have spent the last year as a hair stylist with my own column.
    I'm 21 years old and for the past year and a half or so I've been thinking about my options and what I can do to change my career direction.
    I have 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science.
    I've always loved working with children and think doing a primary education access course would benefit me socially and academically - I know working with them in hairdressing is a totally different environment but I would still like to be a part of their young lives; it would bring me great pleasure to feel like I've helped them in their most important years of education! If I complete the access course I would like to then go on to doing a degree within the primary education route.

My question is, is there anything I can be doing now whilst working to help me on my application for the access course? I have a monday off so I could volunteer in a primary school if needed. I wouldn't think about applying until 2017 but know that there are things i could be doing to help myself now!

I also have another question which may be slightly off topic but I'm also confused about! I have emailed the college I wish to apply to and am awaiting their reply - just want to hear someone else's opinion!
    If i got accepted to do this access course, i would be moving from England to Scotland to study it. since I've already achieved a level 3 in hairdressing does this mean i'm not entitled to funding? as i don't think i would be able to study without it. i'm pretty naive about everything at the moment and don't want to get my hopes up without knowing the facts and what i may be getting myself into so anything helps!

if you have any advice for me at all i would greatly appreciate it!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by daintydaisy)
    First of all thank you for taking some time to read my thread!

I'm in dire need of some help in what choices I make in the near (maybe not so near?) future. I should start off by saying for the past 3 years I have done an apprenticeship in Hairdressing. I'm fully qualified now and have spent the last year as a hair stylist with my own column.
    I'm 21 years old and for the past year and a half or so I've been thinking about my options and what I can do to change my career direction.
    I have 5 GCSEs (A-C) including English, maths and science.
    I've always loved working with children and think doing a primary education access course would benefit me socially and academically - I know working with them in hairdressing is a totally different environment but I would still like to be a part of their young lives; it would bring me great pleasure to feel like I've helped them in their most important years of education! If I complete the access course I would like to then go on to doing a degree within the primary education route.

My question is, is there anything I can be doing now whilst working to help me on my application for the access course? I have a monday off so I could volunteer in a primary school if needed. I wouldn't think about applying until 2017 but know that there are things i could be doing to help myself now!

I also have another question which may be slightly off topic but I'm also confused about! I have emailed the college I wish to apply to and am awaiting their reply - just want to hear someone else's opinion!
    If i got accepted to do this access course, i would be moving from England to Scotland to study it. since I've already achieved a level 3 in hairdressing does this mean i'm not entitled to funding? as i don't think i would be able to study without it. i'm pretty naive about everything at the moment and don't want to get my hopes up without knowing the facts and what i may be getting myself into so anything helps!

if you have any advice for me at all i would greatly appreciate it!
    I'm not sure if doing work experience in a school will make much different to your college application, but it will certainly help when you come to write your personal statement for university. If you have time to do it now, you may as well do it.

You live in England, but you're applying to do an Access course in Scotland? That seems a little odd, are there no Access courses closer to you? You could get an Advanced learning loan to pay for the Access course (it doesn't matter if you already have a level 3 qualification), but there is no financial help available for iving costs so you will presumably need to get a job to support yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I'm not sure if doing work experience in a school will make much different to your college application, but it will certainly help when you come to write your personal statement for university. If you have time to do it now, you may as well do it.

You live in England, but you're applying to do an Access course in Scotland? That seems a little odd, are there no Access courses closer to you? You could get an Advanced learning loan to pay for the Access course (it doesn't matter if you already have a level 3 qualification), but there is no financial help available for iving costs so you will presumably need to get a job to support yourself.
    Thanks for your reply!

Yeah I understand it might not make any difference to the application but just thought it might be something to add on seeing as I haven't really got any experience with children other than when I cut their hair in work!

& I will be moving in with my partner next year In Edinburgh which is why I'm looking for an access course up there I have a good year to get some savings behind me and costs won't be too bad as my partner understands the first year will be pretty tight money wise! I'll definitely look into the loan though, I've heard about it before and apparently if you go to uni and come out with the degree you don't have to pay it back. That's my plan so hopefully it all works out!

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE:

Okay so the college emailed me back and said that they wouldn't be able to offer me any funding due to moving for the purpose of Education.

I'm a bit confused now because I thought they may have been able to offer me something, especially because this is an access course and I would be going on to do Uni afterwards - which would mean I would be living up in Edinburgh for the duration and hopefully once I graduate too.

I'm not eligible for the Advanced Learning Loan because I'm under 24 and I'm not eligible to get free education because I already have my level 3 in Hairdressing.

Are there any other options here or will I just have to pay the cost of the course up front?
    This is a bit annoying because until I sort out my plans with college I won't be able to contact the University.
    I've looked around access courses more local but I don't want to go to University down here which is what most of them seem to lead onto once you've finished.
    If there is no other alternative I may just go back to college and do my A-Levels so then I can apply to the uni in edinburgh.
    Just really need some advice! Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    ...I'm not eligible for the Advanced Learning Loan because I'm under 24 and I'm not eligible to get free education because I already have my level 3 in Hairdressing...
    The rules have changed this year - the lower age limit is now 19, not 24.
    https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility
    However, the system may be different in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schadenfreude65)
    The rules have changed this year - the lower age limit is now 19, not 24.
    https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan/eligibility
    However, the system may be different in Scotland.
    Ah yes silly me haha.
    Thank you! I'll definitely look into it.
    I've emailed the college about maybe arranging a meeting when I'm there next week so hopefully I'll be able to find out everything I need to know.

ReputationRep:
    If you do end up doing the access course in England, there is nothing at all stopping you from applying to unis in Scotland. Just like A-Levels, they can get you into uni all over the UK. A lot of access course students will go on to local unis, but thats just due to the fact that many have homes and families locally they can't just uproot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanB)
    If you do end up doing the access course in England, there is nothing at all stopping you from applying to unis in Scotland. Just like A-Levels, they can get you into uni all over the UK. A lot of access course students will go on to local unis, but thats just due to the fact that many have homes and families locally they can't just uproot.
    From the info I've read on the course it seems most of the access courses are linked to unis more local as they communicate with them more often and can educate you more based on what you do in that specific degree.
    I understand you can go to different unis but I feel doing an access course more local to the uni I want to get into might make it easier to apply. I could just be talking rubbish though, it's just what I've picked up from the research I've done.

ReputationRep:
    From the info I've read on the course it seems most of the access courses are linked to unis more local as they communicate with them more often and can educate you more based on what you do in that specific degree.
    I understand you can go to different unis but I feel doing an access course more local to the uni I want to get into might make it easier to apply. I could just be talking rubbish though, it's just what I've picked up from the research I've done.
    As long as you achieve the grades they want in the subjects they are asking for, honestly you can do an access course anywhere. I'm not going to a university that is anyway associated with my college and neither are quite a few people who were on my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanB)
    As long as you achieve the grades they want in the subjects they are asking for, honestly you can do an access course anywhere. I'm not going to a university that is anyway associated with my college and neither are quite a few people who were on my course.
    Ah that's good! I suppose anything is possible as long as I have the dedication, just have to try my best aha. It's comforting to know that if its not suitable for me to go to college up there then there are other options. Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.