Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for this internship in an electronics field before Christmas. The problem now is that I rather unexpectedly got the job and it starts this week and I am bricking it!

When I applied I had just finished my electronics module (I'm not an engineer, but I take some comp. sci. modules alongside materials chemistry and maths. It was always my intention to recap over my electronics material before starting, but they accepted me so late (end of term so no electronics was getting priority over coursework/exams), I just didn't get the chance.

What is worse, the little time I did have, I had no idea what to go over to prepare. I've asked THREE times now for a specific job description that would allow me to do some preparation, no answer.

The job is in Japan, so you can maybe understand why I feel even more anxious about this!

The electronics I've covered is not specific enough to be of much help, and even if it was I did it so long ago I can hardly remember half of it despite acing the module.

No idea what I am even expecting to get from this. I just feel so isolated right now, would be nice to get some advice, even if it isn't much.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    1) learn a little bit of Japanese to get around, especially if you look like someone who speaks it
    2) review the job responsibilities that the internship lists, and focus on what you need to know in order to perform those tasks expected of you (N.B. If the job description is pretty minimal then you're reduced to searching on the web what a trainee electronics engineer does)
    3) you're learning while on the job so they shouldn't expect too much from you at the start, perhaps you might learn more than what you'll ever study at uni
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    I applied for this internship in an electronics field before Christmas. The problem now is that I rather unexpectedly got the job and it starts this week and I am bricking it!

When I applied I had just finished my electronics module (I'm not an engineer, but I take some comp. sci. modules alongside materials chemistry and maths. It was always my intention to recap over my electronics material before starting, but they accepted me so late (end of term so no electronics was getting priority over coursework/exams), I just didn't get the chance.

What is worse, the little time I did have, I had no idea what to go over to prepare. I've asked THREE times now for a specific job description that would allow me to do some preparation, no answer.

The job is in Japan, so you can maybe understand why I feel even more anxious about this!

The electronics I've covered is not specific enough to be of much help, and even if it was I did it so long ago I can hardly remember half of it despite acing the module.

No idea what I am even expecting to get from this. I just feel so isolated right now, would be nice to get some advice, even if it isn't much.
    It's probable that if they offered you the position they consider your knowledge technically adequate for it. It's not unusual to want to brush up on your technical knowledge before starting a new position, though. Perhaps you should focus on the basics, as the basics should be transferable to whatever you're doing (and if you'll be doing something very niche, they probably won't expect you to have much knowledge of it beforehand).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.