The Student Room Group

Latest YouGov polls - Remain back in lead by 1%

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Because by convention such major constitutional questions are put to the people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not always. When was there a referendum on the ECHR? Or devolution?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Not always. When was there a referendum on the ECHR? Or devolution?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There were referendums on devolution...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
There were referendums on devolution...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So there was.
I still don't believe that we are holding one due to convention. It's as others have said, down to UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not always. When was there a referendum on ... Or devolution?

There have been many, many referenda on various forms of devolution: in 1998 on having a mayor for London; in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland on regional devolution (in 1973, 1979, 1997, 1998, 2011); on Scottish independence (2014); on devolution in north-east England in 2004; and on mayors in about fifty towns and cities across the country (various dates between 2001 and 2014).
So there was.
I still don't believe that we are holding one due to convention. It's as others have said, down to UKIP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Convention is the reason for it being a referendum rather than merely a parliamentary vote, ukip is the main reason the question is being considered. The two things are distinct and separate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Good bloke
There have been many, many referenda on various forms of devolution: in 1998 on having a mayor for London; in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland on regional devolution (in 1973, 1979, 1997, 1998, 2011); on Scottish independence (2014); on devolution in north-east England in 2004; and on mayors in about fifty towns and cities across the country (various dates between 2001 and 2014).

And only 2 (or 3 including today) across the whole of the UK.

It's a rare thing.
Original post by jneill
And only 2 (or 3 including today) across the whole of the UK.

It's a rare thing.

Because such questions are rare...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Just those people they polled, who were willing to express an opinion. British public more broadly won't be so shy when voting anonymously

#BelieveInBritain

You do know your vote can be identified? (But it would be illegal to do so...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_ballot#Secrecy_vs._reliability
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You do know your vote can be identified? (But it would be illegal to do so...)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_ballot#Secrecy_vs._reliability

One cannot help but wonder if at times in the past, the security services or independent contractors might not have been brought in to alter the votes. For example, to put the Tories in office at key moments, or perhaps in the past to alter the results of some by-elections or similar. Organising it would not be all that difficult, a simple matter of switching ballot boxes between their collection at polling stations and their arrival at counts in selected key marginals.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Morning all. Couple of polls in from our ever-busy internet pollsters YouGov.
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/eu-referendum-remain-lead-one/

Remain average lead 1%.

The effect of Jo Cox's murder? Or the furore over Farage's poster?

Personally I always thought Remain would harden as the day approached and this appears to be supporting that view.

EDIT: YouGov say these polls were done before Jo Cox was killed.

"
While there will be speculation about whether this movement is connected to the tragic death of Jo Cox, we do not think that it is. The fieldwork for our Good Morning Britain poll was entirely conducted before she was attacked and a third of the responses to our Sunday Times poll were also done before news of her death was reported.The underlying figures suggest the movement may be more to do with people worrying about the economic impact of leaving the European Union. In the Sunday Times poll 33% of people said they thought that they would be personally worse off if Britain left the EU, up from 23% a fortnight ago and easily the highest we have recorded on this question.
"

Vote remain- economy
One cannot help but wonder if at times in the past, the security services or independent contractors might not have been brought in to alter the votes. For example, to put the Tories in office at key moments, or perhaps in the past to alter the results of some by-elections or similar. Organising it would not be all that difficult, a simple matter of switching ballot boxes between their collection at polling stations and their arrival at counts in selected key marginals.

Nah. I really don't think so. Tracking your vote is one thing, changing it is quite another and wouldn't work at scale.

But they used to put you on a little list if you voted communist. Allegedly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 251

I think you overestimate the power of the security services. Secondly can you imagine how much money you could make selling your story of how you swapped ballot boxes to the Mirror? Rigging elections requires quite a lot of resources, if practical dictatorships like Iran and Russia cannot manage it, how do you expect the UK (A much more open society) to do so?

Sorry FOS but sometimes the majority of the electorate do vote for the Tories ;-).
Original post by Tempest II
Sorry FOS but sometimes the majority of the electorate do vote for the Tories ;-).

Very rarely do they have an absolute majority (i.e. share >50%), but FPTP means they don't have to :wink:
Original post by jneill
Very rarely do they have an absolute majority (i.e. share >50%), but FPTP means they don't have to :wink:

I agree that, for example, 35% percent of the vote with a 65-70% turnout isn't exactly a majority (for all political parties) which is why I wouldn't oppose making voting mandatory as long as there was a "None of the Above/You'll all Rubbish" box.
I agree that, for example, 35% percent of the vote with a 65-70% turnout isn't exactly a majority (for all political parties) which is why I wouldn't oppose making voting mandatory as long as there was a "None of the Above/You'll all Rubbish" box.

Yep they have compusory voting in Oz, for example. I'm not sure we need to go that far.
Reply 256

There's something so incredibly irritating about the way you say the most ludicrous and partisan things in a genial and reasonable-sounding way.
Another of those annoying facts to consider.

Before joining the EU the UK had slowest growth of G7. Since joining EU it has the highest.

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Another of those annoying facts to consider.

Before joining the EU the UK had slowest growth of G7. Since joining EU it has the highest.

Attachment not found

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure you can attribute that to the EU. It looks like UK growth only really started to shoot up in the mid 1980s when privatisation under Thatcher kicked in.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp

I'm not going to dispute that the economic side of the EU hasn't been positive but until 1993 the EU was far more about just economics rather than becoming the the organisation it is not. It's not about the past, it's about the future & where the EU is going, which is even further down the superstate route, isn't where I want to see it go.
I'm not sure you can attribute that to the EU. It looks like UK growth only really started to shoot up in the mid 1980s when privatisation under Thatcher kicked in.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/gdp

I'm not going to dispute that the economic side of the EU hasn't been positive but until 1993 the EU was far more about just economics rather than becoming the the organisation it is not. It's not about the past, it's about the future & where the EU is going, which is even further down the superstate route, isn't where I want to see it go.

You need this chart :wink:

1466695541588.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending