Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know there are numberous informative threads on different aspects of Sheffield uni (thanks to Expression ) but I'm looking for a more general summary. What's the place like, what are the people like? Is it a nice place to live in? How near is the city centre, etc etc

Any help will be mucho appreciated!

(I'm thinking of applying for English lit 2005 entry)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I know there are numberous informative threads on different aspects of Sheffield uni (thanks to Expression ) but I'm looking for a more general summary. What's the place like, what are the people like? Is it a nice place to live in? How near is the city centre, etc etc

Any help will be mucho appreciated!

(I'm thinking of applying for English lit 2005 entry)
    Would be useful for me as well, so come on people!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone???

ReputationRep:
    I lived in Sheff for 11 years... all I can say is go there and find out. People are mad applying to unis without visiting the place :rolleyes:
    Seriously, go there and get your own opinion!! Sheffs got its good areas, and its bad areas just like everywhere really.
    There are maps on their website, so check them out, city centres in walking distance from the main bit of the uni .
    The uni itself is very nice tho, and all the tutors I met and dealt with were really nice.

I didnt put em as one of me choices tho

ReputationRep:
    It's a very nice city, very different from what I expected. I thought it'd be very flat and grey, the reality is very different. The uni itself is in a pretty decent area as well as most of the uni accomodation. Get yourself along to an open day is my advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_the_nun)
    I lived in Sheff for 11 years... all I can say is go there and find out. People are mad applying to unis without visiting the place :rolleyes:
    Seriously, go there and get your own opinion!! Sheffs got its good areas, and its bad areas just like everywhere really.
    There are maps on their website, so check them out, city centres in walking distance from the main bit of the uni .
    The uni itself is very nice tho, and all the tutors I met and dealt with were really nice.

I didnt put em as one of me choices tho
    I probably am going to go there and will get my own opinion, I'm just trying to find out what other people think of it. I can't visit every single university I like the sound of so I'm trying to find out more about it before deciding whether to visit it or not.

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day (yesterday) and loved it. I hope i get in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    Cool - you're a geographer aren't you? Did you see the geog dept? What was it like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -xsarahx-)
    I wanted to go to the open day but couldn't cos my stupid PE teacher made us all do sports day. I'm going to the one in September though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I wanted to go to the open day but couldn't cos my stupid PE teacher made us all do sports day. I'm going to the one in September though
    what?????? you're a sixth former, skip it like everyone else (or conveniently get ill that day, its worked for me for many years)! plus your future is more important than some dumb school event (i would have got my dad to have a fit at them if they had tried anything like that with me!)

ReputationRep:
    Howdo

I have just finished a law degree at sheffield and am staying on to do my lpc there cos I love it that much. Sheffield has one of the highest rates for students staying on after their degrees, and once you've visited you'll know why. I'm from Jersey so any city is wicked to me *L* but the people are really friendly, it's a fairly low cost of living and the nightlife is very good too. If you've got hobbies or interests you're sure to find somewhere who caters for it, whether it be a uni club or outside. I chose sheffield because when I went there i instantly fell for the place and the people and the uni. To be totally happy at uni i think you need all three. I would advise visiting, go on an open day, but better than that, go on a student night out too if you can if you want a feel for the night life. Also, spend a day wandering around the city centre. You'll soon know if you can deal with all the hills.

Vida

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    what?????? you're a sixth former, skip it like everyone else (or conveniently get ill that day, its worked for me for many years)! plus your future is more important than some dumb school event (i would have got my dad to have a fit at them if they had tried anything like that with me!)
    Lol, trust me you wouldnt mess with my PE teacher! If we didnt turn up to sports day he said he would make us do it all next year. And believe me, he would. Which is why most people actually did turn up (a lot more than usual!)

ReputationRep:
    Some other quesions

- what are the living costs like?
    - is the accomodation good?
    - are there many rahs?
    - are there good sports & social facilities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    Some other quesions

- what are the living costs like?
    - is the accomodation good?
    - are there many rahs?
    - are there good sports & social facilities?
    Erm, have you looked at all the threads created by Expression, specifically on Sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Erm, have you looked at all the threads created by Expression, specifically on Sheffield?

So at some time I need to do a Sheffield Accommodation guide - although in the meantime there are lots of posts written in the past by me, viviki and byb3 regarding living in Sheffield.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.